Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try the GAry Anderson rods - I believe Kerry B makes his blanks but they are Anderson's taper?

I have flexed a couple and got to play with one for a short time at the San Rafael FF show - very impressive - he has two that sound great - a 5/6/7 13'3" and a 6/7/8 13'3" which is the one I cast. I only had an old style Delta to try out but it cast it like a dream - pretty easy to throw the entire line.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Anderson/Meiser rods.

Gary Anderson (probably So. Oregon's best custom rod maker) and Meiz have teamed up to produce a group of rods all 13 foot long but with different line wts. 6-7,7-8, 8-9, and a 9-10. (Hope I got those numbers right.)

Bob had a few of the rods at the Charity clinic this past weekend. The lighter one's were grand casting tools; the 9-10 ..... back to the drawing board on that one (imho). The rods were strung with several different lines over the course of the two days so got a good cross section of how they would operate in 'real fishing,' as well as just casting conditions.

Not at liberty to say who makes the blanks ... but they're manufactured in southern washington.;)

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
I've had an Anderson single hand 9' 6wt. rod for about a decade. Sweet! The question is where haven't I used it!

Phil

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Rick,

The tapers for these blanks were conceived by Gary Anderson with roll-up and engineering done by one of the best in the West.

I really did not have much to do with the design of these blanks...Steve Gotshall was and still is very involved, as are others.

I was fortunate enough to get involved on the ground floor of their field work, and was then asked to become a builder.

And as you said.....It was'nt hard to fall in love with these rods, as they are so very light, sweet, and powerful.

They are 5/6/7 ~ 6/7/8 ~ 7/8/9 ... 3 pc.

Fred.....

The 9/10 you cast was not Gary's....But one of my protos.

I watched Steve easily aerialize 90 ft of the 9/10 XLT... Not to bad for a 13 footer.

The work potential is definitely there, I just need to friendly up the middle section a bit...Back to the drawing board...But very close.

At this point it's a great 40 to 50 ft belly rod ~ Butt loading at around 700/800 grains.....But not a very friendly longer belly rod for us mortals to achieve distance beyond 80 feet.

Been asked to design a Bright King rod for the Medium sized Coastal rivers.

We want to build a rod that will quickly defeat and safely release the Bright King, but still deliver conventional lines easily.

We feel that the 13 ft. rod is a good approach.....The 13 by 13 "Claymore" is the 9/10s predecessor, so it's been toned down quite a bit !!!

Meiz

·
Registered
208 Posts
Gary Andeson Rods

Rick

Gary's new Spey Rods are like a pedigree dog with out the papers. He and Bob can sell the rods for a lot less as long as you do not know where they are rolled up. They are National Champs, none the less, and they will show it on the water.

Gary has 4 blanks currently at 13 foot plus with 2 more lighter rods coming later this year. His lightest rod the 5/6/7 is my favorite and is very fast with a strong progressive taper. Gary calls this model LS, Line Speed. I like a lighter line than most casters with this rod, between 340 grains and 400. Some like a heavier feel with 400 to 500 grains. The progressive action allows the rod to perform with both. I cast off the tip, heavier lines reach down into the mid section. This is a power house rod and the largest spey rod that I need around here and that includes the North Umpqua. I love this rod in big water swinging a Wind Cutter and a type 8 head with a compensator all day long.

The 3 blanks above this are med fast and what Gary calls EPS, effortless power stroke. These rods have a large sweet spot and are very friendly. A great Sunday afternoon rod that enjoys a slightly slower casting stroke and the delivery is "effortless".

The 2 new smaller rods under development willl probably go the direction of LS, because in smaller lines the progressive action gives more casting options and ultimately control. The Proto Types are exciting and I have one rod that loves a 310 grain Bankmaster, which is probably a size 4/5 Spey. Tony Brauner, the president of The FFF Oregon Council, fought and landed last Friday a 17 1/2 # wild buck with me on the Rogue using this rod.

Besides the great development work Gary is doing, Bob Meiser has a new prototype, size 5, at 11'8". The high modulus layup produces the lightest, quikest rod I have ever cast. It is also the most fun rod I have ever fished and it took 3 steelies on the Tony trip, 5 7 and 8 pounds. This is a new generation rod and I hope Bob goes into production on it. It is the first spey rod under 13 feet that I have liked, and I love this one. The ultimate spey rod collection for me is Gary's 4, Meiser's 5, Gary's 6.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts