Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have his 7 wt and think it is a wonderful casting rod - I use the 7/8 AIRFLO Delta with it and it flies. It also handles a long belly 7/8 xlt nicely. Just realized I problaby responded to you over on Kiene's site. In one of your questions over on Bill's site you asked about Kings. The 7 would be light for them but an 8/9 would likley be fine depending on the size of fish - I use 8 through 10 wt single handed rods for kings all the time up on the Chtco and Smith.

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Gary Anderson rod

I have, on loan, a gray 13'-3" 8/9 rod of Gary's. I rigged it up with a Skagit line to throw sink tips and big flies. It does this very well. I have not tried it with any other lines because I already have rods for long belly lines. I was looking for a Salmon stick and I think I have found it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Gary Anderson Rod

I have a couple of his rods including a 12'6" 5wt spey that is awesome. I think his grey rods are the best on the market for the price. I have cast the 13'3" 8wt and I found it to be a fast progressive taper. I believe (you can ask Gary) that the 8 and 9wt spey have the same butt section. Either the 8 or 9 will handle big fish. The guy I know who owns a 13'3" 8wt has landed kings on the lower rogue with his with no problems. I am ordering a 7wt spey from him to use on winter steelhead. Can't go wrong with his rods.
Cheers!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Anderson Custom Rods

Gary makes gorgeous rods on both blanks designed and made by others, mainly Sage, and on blanks he has designed. The spey rods are on blanks he designed and, in my opinion, are excellent. The grey and blue versions use the same blanks, but the blues have the nicer fittings and finish and the grays are considerably easier on the pocketbook. I have the new 12'6" 5-weight and think it's especially nice. throws a 5/6 Windcutter nicely and works very well with longer belly (single hand) lines too. Extra light and positive, and strong enough for moderate winds and medium sized flies and steelhead/Atl. salmon. His company is called Anderson Custom Rods.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Spent a bit more time today with the ACR 13'3" 7 wt (grey blank) with the 7/8 xlt. I have played some with that line but normally have been using the short belly AIRFLO 7/8. Admittedly it was under practice conditions on still water (no rivers close to me to play) but was consistantly hitting 100 to 110 feet with the xlt. If anything this rod casts the xlt better than my Scott 1287 that Way actually designed the line around - probably because it is a bit longer than the 1287 so can carry more line easier. This rod is faster than the 1287 and is very impressive with both short and long belly lines!!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Knowing Rick, probably so. What 'some of do' is actually mark our lines (felt tip pen) in 25 foot sections. One band for 25 foot, 2 for 50 foot, etc. From there it's just a function of knowing how long your leader is to reasonably 'guestimate' the lenght of your cast.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
not taped but as Fred indicated I have my line marked starting at 50 feet every 10 feet and I had the 110 point at the reel and when my timing was on it would hit the reel :smile: . When my timing was off it didn't :( . I am using rubber boots so not wading deep in my near by lake and no fly on so certainly this would not follow in fishing conditions or if a wind came up - just that the rod seems to handle that line very well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts