Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site and feel a little intimidated posting such a simple fly with all the beautiful classic flies that are being posted. But this fly kind of reminds of just old Plain Vanilla. Real easy to tie, effective and beautiful in it's own simple way. Also good for trout in smaller sizes.

These are tied on an Allen size 2 and with a slightly longer tail than the original pattern called for. The body color can be changed while keeping the rest of the materials from the Ringneck Pheasant. The upper fly's body is Violet SimiSeal and the bottom one is Peacock SimiSeal.

·
Undertaker
1,326 Posts
Welcome aboard

No need to apologize for tying simple, effective flies. We all fish them. That's a pattern I hadn't seen before, so thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
X 2 above

I can see tying smaller for my trout rods being very effective

·
Administrator
18,171 Posts
These are fish catchers and will hunt well on any river from coast to coast !!
Nice work , I'd swing'em :)

Mike

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yep, great jack gartside pattern everyone should have in different sizes in their fly box good for all species
DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Don;t be! every pattern has its merits and this pattern seems to have many merits. I think this pattern could catch any species of game fish anywhere in the world. what a great general pattern. thanks so much for sharing these.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey, those are some fishy looking flies there. I also find them quite beautiful, and well tied. I am especially fond of the green one (lower fly), but they both look solid and worthy of a swing.
Thanks for sharing
JB

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Man do those take me back! Those are killer patterns and not very widely used and that is a shame.

I was just tying with some buds the other week and was saying you can use this fluff that you pull off your feathers to make a killer pattern the Gartside Sparrow! Not one of them had ever heard of the fly.

Thanks for showing us a absolute killer fly and well tied I might add.

KC

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Those are some very well-tied SPARROWs. You have nothing to apologize for. And as has been mentioned, this is a fly that a large number of fly fishers have never seen, and most have never heard of.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Great looking flies, Rick.

The Sparrow is one of my favorite flies to swing for trout. Jack Gartside tied some awesome flies. There's no fly more fun to fish than a Gurgler.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nicely tied and very effective in many colors. Jack used to tie those using his GSS. I still have a few bags of that.
The Sparrow Bugger in Woolly Wisdom, pg. 196 is an excellent variation.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
What book are you referring to??

Please advise

Nicely tied and very effective in many colors. Jack used to tie those using his GSS. I still have a few bags of that.
The Sparrow Bugger in Woolly Wisdom, pg. 196 is an excellent variation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts