Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Introducing the New Series of Two Handed Rods

The new Roaring River Series are designed for the three primary casting techniques used throughout the world: traditional, Skagit & Scandinavian.
Roaring River Greased Line - to address the traditional style of two-hand casting, our field experts have helped to define the RoaringRiver Greased Line Rods: 9 rods ranging from a 14' #8/9 wt to a 17' #10/11 wt. Designed to cast long belly floating lines using a long casting stroke, this traditional form of spey casting maintains a fixed line of 65 to 100 feet. They allow you to cover water without retrieving or lengthening line on each cast, keeping you less tired and more focused on the prize. These powerful designs use the full bend of the rod, flexing through the mid-section when fully loaded.

Greased Line GLX - is crafted with our proprietary GLX graphite along with the finest rod components available today. Featuring Hopkins & Holloway guides & exquisitely crafted Portuguese cork handles, fitted with a special composite cork end-cap & fore-grip. Our exclusive offset-oval sculptured barrel reel seat, each with an ivory style insert engraved with a fly graphic.

Greased line Deveron - a special graphite lend needed for the optimum actions to cast long belly lines using methods as traditional as the Deberon River itself. Featuring premium Hopkins & Holloway components & beautiful Portuguese cork handles.

Roaring River Dredger - when you get down fast in swift, deep drifts, the new Roaring River Dredger will comfortably manage the sinking tips & weighted flies needed for Skagit style casting. The 7 models, ranging from 12'9" #6/7 to 14' #9/10, are designed to throw short to medium belly 38 to 62 ft. lines using the balanced medium casting stroke, refined over time by the northwest steelhead fishermen. Requiring less back cast space than traditional casting, this series of rods provide excellent distance with some shoot to the cast.

Dredger GLX - this is the top of the Dredger line, featuring our proprietary GLX graphite along with the finest rod components available today. With nickel titanium recoil guides by REC these cast as slick as they look. Exquisitely crafted Portuguese cork handles with a special composite cork end-cap & fore-grip are fitted to our exclusive offset-oval sculptured barrel real seat, each with an ivory style insert engraved with a fly graphic.

Dredger Kispiox - for a balanced medium casting stroke, this special graphite blend is tailored to the exact specifications needed to perform Skagit sytle casts. With Hopkins & Holloway components & beautiful Portuguese cork handles, the Kispiox rods are as beautiful & powerful as the river they're named after.
Roaring River Stinger - for the needs of the Scandinavian style of casting, we offer the RoaringRiver Stinger series. With 8 rods, ranging from 12'6" to 15', these rods were designed to optimally cast floating or intermediate shooting heads of 33 - 46'. This is the most recent development in 2 hand casting, a much faster, shorter stroke using the lower hand (underhand casting). These rods help you generate high line speed & give you great shooting distance casts. With a fast action taper, these rods let you make overhead false casts, generating the highest line speed possible. That's assuming you have sufficient room for back casting, such as gravel bar or ocean beaches.

Stinger GLX - at first glance you'll notice the nickel titanium recoil guides by REC, which are different both in looks & function. Weighing about as much as one individual traditional guide, the total weight of the rod is noticeably lighter. They're also flexible, making a mistake like catching a tree branch, nothing but a slight hang up. Exquisitely crafted Portuguese cork handles with a special composite cork end-cap & fore-grip fitted to our exclusive offset-oval sculptured barrel real seat, each with an ivory style insert engraved with a fly graphic. All on a blank featuring our proprietary GLX graphite tapered to the exact standards of Skandinavian style casting.

Stinger Alta - these rods help you generate very high line speed thanks to a special graphite blend formulated for a fast action. With premium Hopkins & Holloway components & beautiful Portuguese cork handles, the Alta offers everything you could want for Scandinavian style casting.

Rick Whorwood
G. Loomis Pro-Staff

·
Registered
254 Posts
Which is the fastest 15' rod that will toss 700 to 900 grains overhead and rip the jaws out of 15 lb. Steelhead or Silver when I set the hook?

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Hi Matt.
One of the 15' rods I liked was the Stinger GLX 15' 10/11.Powerfull rod.
The lines we had avaliable to test were the Rio SSH 10/11 @44.5'/13.5m, 730 grains/47.22 grams.This combination worked well.
Also tested was the Hardy SH 10/11 @ 46'/14m, 635 grains/41.14 grams.This line was designated ML on our test sheet (hope to put this up on the site soon),which is medium light load.Still cast nice though.
Vision and Guideline S.Heads were tested as well.These were very nice to cast but unfortunately are not avaliable in North America.
Matt.What kind of lines are you using and for what kind of application.
I hope this info helped.If you have any other questions,fire away. :)
Speyladdie :smokin:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I use Guideline heads and they were expensive to get from Sweden. They are by far the best heads I have used. Rio makes Guideline heads, but their version sold in the states as the Scan head is a far cry from Leif Stavmo's head design. All in the 11/12 range on 35# to 25# mono or flat mono. Lately I've taken to building my own heads. At first I thought short and fat was the ticket, but it really limits the weight because higher grain stock lines are just not available. I do have a 31 foot 675 grain intermediate head and the best I can do for floating is around 600 grains at 30 feet. But this is like chucking coaxial cable. So now I've taken a windmaster saltwater line and added a 400 grain Rio Aqualux head to it. I choose a warm water salt line so that it would stiffen up a bit out here in Puget Sound which helps in the false cast. The whole line is 60 feet and spliced into Amnesia. I have found with the heaviest part of the head near the fly I can false cast the whole sixty feet out with two hands on the rod in no time and then shoot the line. I was getting upset that windy days kind of kept me off the saltwater and the longer head actually turns over better leaving less slack to strip. If I can teach this technique to my hands and arms, I'd like to try it on a longer rod, 15 or 16 feet. I should be able to build the head as far as 65 to 75 feet (roughly 5 times the length of the rod) and then running line. That would put me at about 700 to 1000 grains.

This is not an effort to increase distance. I try to stay as true to the Scandihoovian overhead as possible. It shouldn’t be like swinging a bat, just all facing forward with little or no rotation of the upper torso, but I am working on that with no one to instruct me. All I have is the playback on a cheesy old video camera. Actually I'm pretty freakin' lazy and I just think this would be the easiest way to stay at 120 feet which I can do with my 13 footer. Plus, with the longer and faster rod comes less effort and more accuracy. Besides, the chicks dig it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the new range of power tapers from guideline are even better, after rio started to make them,and next year they add a new series somthing close too the rio windcutter :) is there anyone who have heard about sage tcr 15" at the denver show.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
G.Loomis' Roaring River Two-hand Rods

Thanks Spey Laddie for answering Matt's question.
At the Denver Show they passed a grain wt. two-hand line standard
NOTE: This is all I have:
Line style H S M L
Head length 50-60' 60-70' 70'+
Weight point 40' 55' 65' 80'
Lines Increment
6 420 460 600
7 470 510 650
8 360 530 570 710
9 430 600 640 780
10 510 680 720 860
11 600 770 810 950