Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
G.Loomis Versaspey 6/7 and Winston B2 MX 6/7 - first experience

Finally! Nice 2 hours on the small lake today and testing Versaspey 6/7 with 450 Airflo Skagit Compact and Rio Versileader 10ft Intermediate.

This is my first real double handed rod and the first casts went really well. I have played with T-Spey and Double Spey and simple roll casts.
I was suprised that I could cast the longest with simple roll casts, but only 50% of other casts were successfull. Probably some problems with timing or anchor positioning, but can not find the reason yet :)

It looks like that most consistent casting stroke for me is compact underhand cast. If I try to slow down and make more wide casts, sometimes it turns nice, but more very bad casts.

Also, my reel is too light, Greys GRXi #7/8, around 215 grams and not enough. The center of gravity is around 15 cm too much in front, so the rod tip feels heavy all the time. It is just little better with shooting head on the reel, but still not good.
What kind of cheaper reel and weight you would recommend? 250 grams or more?

Next time, Winston B2 MX 11'6" going to test!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quality time with Winston today :)

Same like yesterday, 2 hours on the lake today, but with Winston B2 MX 6/7, 11'6" rod!

Using the Airflo Skagit Compact 450 grain head, Winston feels little under powered, but I was much more consistent in casting. I could not reach the distance like with Versaspey, but almost 90% of casts were really nice.

I should borrow 475 and 500 grain Skagit Heads and try if it feels better.

But the rod is so light in hands and casts, much better experience comparing to Versaspey in terms of less work.

Today I had also windy situation at the last half an hour, and was little disappointed. Could not make any reasonable cast into the wind what ever I have tried.

I need more time on the water, better on the river than lake, and then will make decision, probably will sell one rod.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Versa spey

I have the 7/8 versa spey. I tend to go up as much as 2 line sizes from what they state on the rod. It says it a 500 grain rod but I fish 550-570 skagit on it. Learning how to cast a spey rod can be a bit easier using heavier heads at first to understand rod loading. It's all what each caster prefers.

Andrew

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more test today with Airflo Scandi Compact 420 grain an Versaspey. It is much nicer experience with Scandi compared to Skagit. Is is much more elegant and distance is great. I have feeling that 450 Scandi will work even better!

I am new Scandi addict :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts