Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help deciding between G Loomis Shortspey7-1111 or Winston Nimbus 7-129.
Primarily using floater (Rage) with waker's. Some Skagit and tip applications with the chance of good size fish.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
All the reviews I’ve heard from the Gloomis is that it is one wicked stick

·
Registered
91 Posts
2 totally different rods...apples and oranges. I’ve had and fished them both for a few seasons. The Loomis has an incredible smooth action and it will toss any line/tip combo that you can think of...very very versatile rod that will put a smile on your face with every cast. I like a 450 rage and a 475 rio skagit short with 10ft of T11. A Rio Scandi body 425 with a light sink tip is also a blast in that stick. Only complaint about it and why I parted ways with it is the short bottom handle. As far as the Nimbus...that is a beefy 7wt that can easily cross into winter fishing. In my opinion it’s more of a skagit rod then Scandi. I’ve tried a 480 rage on it and it felt ok, 455 rio Scandi Body was fine. Where it really exceeded it was with a rio Skagit short 500 grains and 10ft if T11, it would cast a mile. I think an Airflo Scout 510 on that rod would be fun. It is definitely a bit more finicky when it comes to lines compared to the Loomis but I gotta say it wins the built quality as it is beautiful to look at.

Hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts