Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!
I run into this problem whit G.Loomis rods last week. My friend ordered GLX 15´ rod. After checking the rod around we noticed that actual work is really bad and the blank is curved in four different places?

Bad work?
Yes, I mean that all the varnish around the snakes are done like You would be drunk or something. I mean really bad looking when You compare those in Orvis, Sage, Scott, Vision or any other rods.

Well that isn´t the way these rods should be bild, specially when You have to pay over 1250€ from GLX! ( 1€ is round 1,12 USD)

After talking to our customers and my friends I find out that this isn´t the only one. I have found over 10 rods which have the same problems. 13´ to 15´ and all GLX series!
I looked my own rods and noticed the same problem whit the blanks! That really sucks! All these rod are new, I mean I have one 4 years old GLX and thats fine.

So Check out Your rods gentlemen before You get GLX rod!
Have You noticed the same problems?

Don´t get me wrong, I really like these rods, but when You gonna spend that much money, I personally want to have rod that is worth it!:( :confused:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Very strange! Were all the rods from the factory?

If so I'd recommend you call Loomis and let them know they have a huge problem. With their rep. on the line, I suspect they will replace them in a 'New York Second.''
fae

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the rods are from our importer, where we all buy them and then "we" sell those rods for customers!
I have found these 10 rods in one week now, how much more are to come...?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had great luck with both the GLX rods and the people at Loomis when I did break a tip section a few years ago, but this thread needs to seen by someone at Loomis so I forwarded this posting to Steve Rajeff. Hope it helps. John

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Likewise John.

I've only had two Loomis rods (the GL# 8/9 is one of my fav. spey's) and love both. I also sent them a email suggesting they hit this posting. If there are major problems, either they already know it, or if not, they should.
fae

·
Registered
25 Posts
Loomis Rods

Hello Finnfly

I have the same problems with the Loomis GLX rod.
For 2weeks I send back a new factory rod from a customer, because the tip where not strait it looks like a bent.
The most GLX-Spey rods that I saw have bad varnish.
The cork and reel seat is the cheapest on the market but the blanks are in my eyes the best on the market.
I cast no other rod that have the magic of the GLX.
For me is every time a pleasure to cast my GLX rods but my rods are all custom made from me.
Unfortunately Loomis closed the sale on GLX blanks.
I write also some comments to Loomis-USA but I got only a unimportantly response.

Taki

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Rodmaker!

I hear You !
It makes me mad cause I really like those rods. Its not a good thing when You try to sell those "best rods in the world" and they look worst than 150 dollar rods!

They really look like ****! I have found now over 20 GLX rods that has that problem ( bad blank) I bet that all those rods have bad varnishing...I just don´t get it. They all are 13´- 15´ rods!

I love to cast whit those babies but, thing is if they look that bad and the blanks are curved in 2-4 different places, I will sell those rods. I have four rods and one of them looks OK, can´t say it looks nice, but Ok.

They should take a big look at R.L.Winston Spey rods, they look very, very nice!

We did order over 15 twohanded salmon rods from our importer, they should arrive in next week or so, lets see how they look?
They all are GLX rods!

Lets see?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Finnfly,

Have you contacted G Loomis directly and if so what was there response? I'd be very interested in what they had to say! Thanks, John

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, still waiting...
I´ll have to contact again, when I´ll get our new Loomis rods, :)
thats what I m afraid :(

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Hope this can shred some light over the mystery:

The year before last Steve Rajeff along with the Swedish distributors had a very interesting casting seminar in a pond here in Stockholm.

Rajeff turend out to be a very nice man, along being an extraordinary caster. He showed us the various graphite clothes used in the GLX rods and, if my memory serves me right, also mentioned that their curing process often led to partly curved sections. He stressed that this had nothing to do with the performarance of the rods - but that it of course was a cosmetic problem. The advantages of the design were such they were judged to justify this drawback, as I understood it. It is evident that Loomis are aware of this problem and that they honestly address it.

Hopefully they will grasp this oppertunity to explain things better than what I can do.

Per

1 - 11 of 11 Posts