Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with both and care to share their thoughts?

The 71111 is one of my all-time favorite rods, great action, lots of power, easy to cast, impossible to push too hard...

But I like 7 weight 2 handers and have always been curious about how it stacks up to the One in the 7116 configuration.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Owned both and sold the sage twice. If you enjoy the feel of the loomis then you would find a lack of feel with the sage. It’s a fast rod that is a cannon. The sage does load up nice but doesn’t have the feel of the shortspey. I personally like rods that bend. I own and fish several dredgers and burkies that are not fast rods at all. If you can get your hands on a sage try it out and see how you like it. I have a buddy that fishes the sage one 7116 and the shortspey 11’11” 6wt and loves both.

Andrew

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Owned both and sold the sage twice. If you enjoy the feel of the loomis then you would find a lack of feel with the sage. It’s a fast rod that is a cannon. The sage does load up nice but doesn’t have the feel of the shortspey. I personally like rods that bend. I own and fish several dredgers and burkies that are not fast rods at all. If you can get your hands on a sage try it out and see how you like it. I have a buddy that fishes the sage one 7116 and the shortspey 11’11” 6wt and loves both.

Andrew
That's great intel man, thanks.

I agree on the "feel" of the Short Speys, straight butter!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Andrew
How's the One do in the distance department? Constantly impressed by the Short Speys ability to shoot line.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I own a One 7116 (that's now broken for the third time) and the IMX 51111. Different weight rods I know but my Sage is a broomstick when compared to the IMX...I still haven't found a purpose for the One yet. Whereas the versatility, ability to load/deliver, and the accuracy of the Loomis make it such a predictable and stable rod. On top of that it just has a feel that most Sage rods don't. IMO

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've got a Sage One 4116 and a Loomis Short Spey 51111. The Sage is stiffer and faster for sure as Mr. Hollywood stated. I like both rods, however, I agree the Loomis has more feel and feels more like a full size spey rod vs. the One casts more off the tip and is more timing dependent. For touch and go casts I prefer the One over the Loomis, but both cast good with both Skagit and Scandi style casts.

I have been fishing Sage rods for 27 years and they are great rods to get stuff done in tough conditions, but they do lack a little in the feel department. That being said though, I will never part with my 4116 One rod. The Loomis 51111 is a very enjoyable rod to fish and has plenty of power to make long casts.

·
Rook on the Spey
19 Posts
Personally prefer the Loomis 71111. I've cast the One 7116 and owned a One 7126 and it lacked the feel of the Loomis. It was also less intuitive for me... if my timing was exact, that thing jacked. But if not...

I feel like the Loomis rods are a bit more forgiving, and owning 3 in the series, I've taken a liking to them all.

Now, I do have an older Loomis Pro4x 11'6" 9 weight and it is WONDERFUL. Not the lightest, nor prettiest rod out there, but it absolutely hucks line and is perfect for winter fishing in Oregon and Washington. Hard to find anymore, but I'd recommend giving one a shot if you find one. For comparison sakes, it likes a 510-540 Skagit Switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts