Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a 15 ft rod to add to my quiver. I'm wondering about the casting characteristics of the 7/8. Lines used? Comparable rods? Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I owned this rod for a while and compared to other 15' 8 weights that I'be owned (the 8150 , HC 6/8, DBF 7/8 and a Scott LS21509/4) it's more of an 8/9.

Lines that I've cast with are - Delta Long, Midspey & Ian Gordon 65' 7/8 8/9 and WA70 7/8.

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
919 Posts
It's one of the best rods ever built IMHO. It has a very similiar action to the 8150 brownie, with a faster recovery and lighter feel. As far as lines go, I liked it with a Delta long. I would guess that there are a lot of lines that would fit nicely on this rod.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had one for quite awhile and used a 8/9 SA Spey Evolution mid-spey on it as my preferred line. I also cast a 8/9 Delta Long on it as recommened by the Red Shed. I really like the rod and will get another some day.

·
fly on little wing
1,121 Posts
I'm wondering about the casting characteristics of the 7/8. Any feedback is appreciated.
Sweet casting rod for sure. Most all 7/8 designated lines I casted worked well, of course, I like the longer the lines best.
Gary

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bought this rod a few months ago. So far I've tried Gaelforce Equalizer 63ft 7/8 and Carron Jet-stream 65ft 9/10. Going to use this rod for a specific river here in Michigan/Ontario. Up until now I've been a skagit caster so still learning to cast mid belly's. I like the Carron better so far but I think it is because it is a little Heavier. Talk to Poppy and was told that the Equalizer 7/8 would be spot on. So I will keep practicing. Love the Nextcast lines but I wanted a full line not a head.
Sorry can't compare as this is my only 15' rod. It does like a slow tempo.
Looking forward to other views as I researched this rod and found very little info.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It's one of the best rods ever built IMHO. It has a very similiar action to the 8150 brownie, with a faster recovery and lighter feel. As far as lines go, I liked it with a Delta long. I would guess that there are a lot of lines that would fit nicely on this rod.
Same!! Delta long!! VERY SWEET!! I wish I had one! Only test cast once.. Still looking!

·
Registered
503 Posts
7/8or 8/9 15'

I owned the 15' 8/9 GLX and a friend had the 7/8. I cast his quite a bit trying to decide which to buy. I bought the 8/9 matched it with the Nextcast Fall Favorite and fell in love !! Make sure it is the full line if you go that way. That line should also cast on the 7/8 but it was so sweet on the 8/9.

I fished that combo until I came down with this ear problem that has all the doctors shaking their heads and me with no balance and falling on my face.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Bought this rod a few months ago. So far I've tried Gaelforce Equalizer 63ft 7/8 and Carron Jet-stream 65ft 9/10. Going to use this rod for a specific river here in Michigan/Ontario. Up until now I've been a skagit caster so still learning to cast mid belly's. I like the Carron better so far but I think it is because it is a little Heavier. Talk to Poppy and was told that the Equalizer 7/8 would be spot on. So I will keep practicing. Love the Nextcast lines but I wanted a full line not a head.
Sorry can't compare as this is my only 15' rod. It does like a slow tempo.
Looking forward to other views as I researched this rod and found very little info.
Just to note that the Gaelforce 10/11 is the same weight as the Carron 9/10 at just over 800 grains so quite a bit heavier than the Gaelforce 7/8

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
I have that rod, love that rod.
8/9 Delta- OK, but a bit light
7/8 FF70- OK, but a bit heavy
8/9 Vector- awesome, but have to hit it like a scandi head.

yesterday, I tried a frankenline on it, a chopped 9/10 Powerspey belly @ 535gr/37ft with an old Midspey floating tip at about 110 gr. That was good, and when swapped the floater for a sinktip, it started carrying big leadeye bunnies like they were dry midges.

I think the sweet spot on that rod is at 625 for longer heads, but I'm still fiddling and working with it.

I think a 7/8 WA55 would be the best but haven't gotten one on there yet.

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
I fished the 7/8 quite a bit this past fall, mostly with a Delta 8/9 + 10' Polyleader which I found matched it well. The rod was originally designed to cast the old, heavy 7/8 long bellies, so keep that in mind when selecting lines. Modern 7/8 lines will work on it as well, but I feel I get more oomph out of the 8/9 Delta II. I normally lift and cast the 56' Delta II with the entire head out of the guides, which puts it in the same ballpark as a 70' line cast with the end of the head at the top hand.

Just for fun I've also fished it with a DT-11-I as a freezing weather line. The neat thing about this is how well the GL 7/8 extracts the DT intermediate on the lift. No need for a roll cast when using a Double Spey. The lifting characteristics of the rod are very good so that means we shouldn't be afraid to use some really long lines on it. This combo let me fish in the 70'-75' range all day without stripping line or roll casting.

Not long after this rod came out, two of the local Loomis guys worked to identify the best lines for the entire GL line-up. I gave them a bit of a hand during the process and we found that the 7/8 could handle everything from a 7/8 long belly to a 9/10 short head.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great feedback

Thanks for taking the time. Gives me more to consider as I make my decision.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just to note that the Gaelforce 10/11 is the same weight as the Carron 9/10 at just over 800 grains so quite a bit heavier than the Gaelforce 7/8
When I first got the rod talked to Poppy about Gaelforce and was told 63 7/8 at 662 grains was a good match. After receiving the line went out to test cast it. To my casting it felt to light. Wanting to try Carron lines, emailed them and told them the same thing and they recommended the 9/10 as the lines across the pond are labeled different than ours. Couldn't find any grain specs for Carron, and when I did find any info they were all over the map grain wise. So just went with the recommendations from Carron. Waiting for the weather to break to do further testing. First chance I get going to measure and weigh the lines.
Thanks

·
Registered
814 Posts
When I first got the rod talked to Poppy about Gaelforce and was told 63 7/8 at 662 grains was a good match. After receiving the line went out to test cast it. To my casting it felt to light. Wanting to try Carron lines, emailed them and told them the same thing and they recommended the 9/10 as the lines across the pond are labeled different than ours. Couldn't find any grain specs for Carron, and when I did find any info they were all over the map grain wise. So just went with the recommendations from Carron. Waiting for the weather to break to do further testing. First chance I get going to measure and weigh the lines.
Thanks
When I bought my 15' 789 Meiser Highlander a few years back I spoke to Bob about lines and emailed Carron. James Chalmers sent me a grain chart for the 65' heads and the 9/10 was the right one at ~800grns. Bob also recommended it, and it felt good with it on.
As you know the Gaelforce site shows the grain weights of the lines and it seems the 10/11 is the same weight grains (but 2' shorter head) as the 9/10 Carron. I believe the original Carron lines were lighter than the second generation ones.
S

8/9 679
9/10 802
10/11 864
11/12 925

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok not that it matters because I believe it depends on the casters ability and style , but I measured and weight my 2 mid belly's.

Carron Jetstream 65 9/10
Measured just the light blue section. 760 grains @ 52'
This line has light green running line that transforms into light blue.

Gaelforce Equalizer 63 7/8
Measured just the light green part. 630 grains @ 55'
This line has a orange running that transforms into dark green line that is 15' long that turns to light green. Light green is the only part I weight and measured.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Ok not that it matters because I believe it depends on the casters ability and style , but I measured and weight my 2 mid belly's.

Carron Jetstream 65 9/10
Measured just the light blue section. 760 grains @ 52'
This line has light green running line that transforms into light blue.

Gaelforce Equalizer 63 7/8
Measured just the light green part. 630 grains @ 55'
This line has a orange running that transforms into dark green line that is 15' long that turns to light green. Light green is the only part I weight and measured.
Most definitely, but the difference in grains is large, some 140.
I measured my Gaelforce 10/11 and the chartreuse section is 58', the dark green handling section is 15', but this is tapered, and the chartreuse section weighed 52.1 grams, spot on the advertised 804 grains.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I sold my 15' 7/8 greaseliner after I got my 15' 7/8/9 Meiser Highlander, I found the Highlander much easier to cast and in about the same weight class. I generally used a 6/7 xlt or 7/8 first edition nextcast on my greaseliner. The 7/8 Rio afs was good as a shooting head with tight loops.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts