Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone casted the 14' 8/9 GL3. I decided to sell this new Orvis Spey rod I got since I already own two of them, and was wondering what one was more powerful and would be a better rod for tips/heads? I know the Orvis has a mid-flex rating of 7.0, and is not the fastest rod, and is 12'6" in length. Although I have never casted the GL3, I have heard from some it is progressivly fast, others it is stiff, others it is slow..... The GL3 is 14', I don't mind the length since I already have some 12'6" speys. If anyone has casted both and could give me some opinions I would appreciate it. I cannot find this rod in the flyshops in my area, that is why I ask. Also, I have $370 to spend, does anyone know if a Loop rod is worth trying, I don't know where to get one and what the price range is.

Also, I would be balancing it with a Ross 6 or Harris V depending.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Not in a position to 'compare' one rod to the other but ..

Have/love my old Loomis GL3 14' 8/9. This rod is my standard 'sinking leader' rod for summer and much of the winter work here on the Rogue. I'll go up to the 9wt 14/15 foot Sages if the water is on the 'heavy side.' Grand casting rod with either a dry or sinking leaders. Do some 'tips' work with it but (old story here) prefer to use a sinking leader if conditions allow. Which is 80% of the time with our water conditions.

As it's a Eruo rod the 8/9 designation means you can line it with the 8/9 XLT, GrandSpey, MidSpey etc., and rod/line will work equally well with your choice. Old rod but one that does everything rather nicely. Some rods will do 'some things' better, but as an overall I'd not considider selling this rod .... well, a Grand would turn my head.

But then I'd have to take some of that money and go buy a new one and a case of good single malt to celibrate.
fae

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh hah...

Thanks for the info gentlemen. It's a debate now between the Loop Blue Line series and the 14' 8/9wt. I wonder what would be better for tips. The progressive action Loomis is supposed to have may be ideal for heads, but I know the Blue Line is somewhat slower and may bend well into the butt and the tip may recover quickly, which is what I want.

Hmmmm....keeps me wondering!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts