Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how versatile this rod might be with dry line? I was wondering if more experienced casters might know if this rod would match up well with a Rio Midspey 7/8 when using it for greased line on summer runs. Their website boasts the 14' 9/10 as capable of being switched to an 8/9 Midspey for dry line. Thanks

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
check out Simon's recommendations here:

http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/speyrecs.asp

scroll down to "Loomis"

I'm not a big believer in the notion that a particular kind of action is a "must" for a particular kind of casting or fishing. Once upon a time single hand rods had a "dry fly action" and a "wet fly action" but this has been abandoned. I think there is a similar sort of thinking in Speyland and I'm not convinced that it is accurate. Although I've never cast the rod, I'd be willing to bet my Hardy Perfect that the Kispiox will cast a dry line quite nicely; I'd also bet the same reel that the Greaseline rods will handle heavy tips fine too.

Jake, if you enjoy the action of the Kispiox, line it with a MidSpey following Simon's recommendations and you'll probably be quite pleased with the result.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Dana. Appreciate the advice. Since this would be my first spey purchase, I'm leaning more towards the Loomis Deveron 14' 8/9, but didn't want to rule out the Kispiox series, because I've heard good things on both. I think the Deveron will lean more towards my casting style and fishing style.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts