Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent the Sage 9140 Brownie packing yesterday. Never really got attached so no heart-break there.So I got on the phone to order a GIIIe blank to build this winter. Hoping this will be a nice upgrade.

Anyways, the sales guy is digging around the pile of blanks and says he's got a GL4 spey blank for sale also. I know the IMX is suppose to be a great one but how does the GL4 rank in the Loomis line-up? Or should I stick to building a GL3 for backup?

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
It depends on which GL4 it is. The GL4's are very fast and stiff blanks that are very different from the IMX. This was because Loomis simply changed the graphite to the stiffer one without changing the mandrel or graphite cut from the IMX's. If you get the 15 ft 8/9 GL4, it needs to be lined one size higher (to a 9/10) for half-decent spey casting. The 15 ft 10/11 GL4 is a cannon that will toss the largest spey lines a mile.

See if the dealer would be willing to let you tape guides and a handle/reel seat on it so that you can cast it to see if you like it. The GL4 was never very popular and was only in production a short time because of how stiff they were. They did not have the nice, progressive loading of the other Loomis rods.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts