Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never really written down a my thoughts on a particular rod, so forgive me if some of what I put down is less technical than what others are capable of; and I'm no expert, just a fisherman. As the title says, I recently acquired a 7130 Asquith, a rod that I have heard very little about, but was excited to get none the less. So, I wanted to share some of my thoughts and put some information out there about this rod. At this point, I have owned the rod for about a month, and have had some time to fish a handful of lines and situations with it. It is an incredibly capable rod, from the feel, to its very accessible power. My understanding of what helps this rod to be so great is Spiral X, which is a manufacturing process of wrapping the graphite in a spiral; increasing strength and reducing weight. In addition to the manufacturing technique, the components are seemingly top notch and durable; its got titanium guides and premium cork. All this together gives a nice looking rod, but to be honest; it's nothing compared to a hand built/custom rod you would get from C.F Burkheimer, Meiser, or other comparable rod builders. It is without a doubt the lightest 7 wt. two handed rod that I have ever picked up or casted, and you do notice it. I would categorize this rod to be medium fast, with a progressive flex pattern to it. Which is starting to feel unique in todays era. I would put the meat or the power of the rod to be about 2/3 of the way down from the tip and slightly above the butt of the rod, and it's not hard to get it to flex to there. The tip recovery is amazingly fast on this rod, which does translate to very tight loops. The scandi lines that I have found to prefer on it are AF Scandi Long and a AF Rage, both in 480. For skagit, I really like the 510 Skagit Driver and a 480 FIST. For the grain window, I have found this rod to not be too picky, unlike some other rods out there. I have thrown Scandi's as low as 425 on it and skagits up to 540 on it, and it did just fine with those too. That 480-510 does seem to be pretty dialed with my casting style at this point though. I will end up trying more lines on it as time goes on, and if anyone reading this has any suggestions, I am always willing to listen. I would put this rod in the top 3 rods I have ever casted, and an very much looking forward to more time on the water with this rod. I have a feeling that the more time I spend with it, the more cemented my thoughts will become. Thanks for the read and tight lines out there!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had my Asquith 7130 for five months, and like it well enough to have just bought a duplicate from a Forum
member. I'm casting a Rio Skagit Max 525 on my two. I found the rod took a little getting used to, but now that I
have, what great rods!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had my Asquith 7130 for five months, and like it well enough to have just bought a duplicate from a Forum
member. I'm casting a Rio Skagit Max 525 on my two. I found the rod took a little getting used to, but now that I
have, what great rods!
After I got the rod and was able to cast it finally, I was almost tempted to do the same thing, but I wasn't fully aware of what I was getting into with this rod. That is the tough part about where I live, shops don't carry two handed rods, and they do not fish them either, so finding a rod too pick up and flex in person was impossible. This particular shot in the dark was worth it though, enough so to write a review.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Took a couple of trips out in the river to pick up the nuances of this rod but after that it has been great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts