Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tryed these rods ? How do they handle a sinkingline ? Do they have the ability to roll a long DT-sinkingline to the surface or is it,as the name says ,floating lines only?

Best regards
Nils C

·
Registered
562 Posts
I haven't cast the lines that you are asking about but I had a chance to cast the 16' 9/10 with a Carron line last weekend. It was stupid easy to cast the whole head. I have recently been trialing a number of 16' rods and this one felt the lightest and most responsive so far.

There is no water around me that requires a rod of this length but I want to add one to my collection because it is so much fun to cast.

I also cast the 16' Soltice from CND at the Sandy Clave and it too is a very nice rod. It will be a hard decision for me to choose between the two. In my humble opinion I think Imliked casting the Loomis slightly more.

In my mind the nice thing about these rods is that the CND is an 8/9 and the Loomis a 9/10. Many of the other 16' rods I've seen have been 10 - 11 weight. Both of these rods felt like they would be a pleasure to play a 10 lb steelhead on with the edge going to the Soltice slightly.

Hopefully later this year I'll have the chance to alternate casting the two rods and have a better side by side comparison.

Gillie

·
Registered
630 Posts
have not spent much time with the loomis rods, but at the clave I did pick up the 17' 10/11 just for the heck of it and took it to the river for a little work out. This rod seemed quite light in hand for its length and line rating and it had no trouble at all casting the whole 10/11 xlt line, infact I think it could have took a little bit more. I was very impressed with this rod, its a serious cannon for big water.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have been given a wee shot of the 17ft 10/11 long belly. Having been using an 18ft rod a lot recently, this rod came along as a breath of fresh air.

Not only is it one of the lightest rods in its range it is also the most effortless (typical of gloomis rods, the more effort/power put into the cast, the poorer the result). Paired with a carron jet stream, 95ft head line; this rod could easily contend with most 18ft rods on the market.

Gordon

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I just read in another post that Clan has a 17' 7/8. I'd like to get my hands on that one as well. Anyone throw one of these yet?

·
fly on little wing
1,119 Posts
17 footer

I tried the 17' at the GL Clave. The 17' was lined with a Rio Midspey and at least a 15' sink tip.....maybe longer. I am not used to rods over 14' and this was a new experience for me. More practice is required. As Peter mentioned, some of the young guns were ripping this out rather easily. Maybe Dustin or Ryan can chime in.

Gary

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
"The 17' was lined with a Rio Midspey "

Bleh...Two things that should not be used together. Get a real line on that thing :devil:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sean,

I'm confused, I was going to line my 16' with a Skagit line :lildevl: . Is that OK with you ? :p

Gillie

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,916 Posts
The 17ft`r with a xlt 8/9 makes the really long casts seem like a chip shot.
Talk about a need for splicing running line :razz:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts