Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Hair question here...

I'm looking for body hair (something like coyote) with a high density of long guard hairs. I am getting into making "Hair Spey Hackle" with dubbing loops and dyed body hair. So what type of hair do you guys favor for this technique?

AND where do you source it from? Meaning I know all hair/feathers vary so whose got the good stuff for this technique?

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,735 Posts
Poor Doggy

I am torn on this one

Take a peek at European sites on tying

·
Registered
72 Posts
Arctic fox and finn raccoon both have a good amount of guard hairs. The raccoon has the longer guard hairs, but the fur will work its way through most other materials including whatever wing you might use, leading to a messy looking fly (to my eye anyway) while the fox stays put better. For either raccoon or fox I would stay away from zonker strips because the guard hairs are usually trained pretty severely in one direction (often the case with "medallions" of fox, too). The Fly Fishing Shop in Welches, OR used to have nice flat patches of raccoon, and might still. A shop in Port Angeles, WA has nice quarter tails of fox in lots of colors and at a good price.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Skunk and American opossum have nice translucent guard hairs, and looks good in a loop. So does Polar bear, but if you are in the US there are problems with availability.

The other suggestions are good too.

Aaron

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Fox or Skunk gets my vote for this i suppose. sourcing is best from hunters, but look around, you will find what you need. ebay has all sorts of furs

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I recently dyed some batches of locally harvested possum, which has nice very long guard hairs. Key is harvesting in the winter when pelts are prime. Coyote can be very good too, but honestly, Shawn's idea w the German Shephard would probably be tough to beat. Maybe ask around a bit at your local vet or grooming outfit.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
As others have mentioned:

PB, fox tail(marble), Finn raccoon

but also TD ;)

Mike

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Badger dude,, super soft under fur and long guard hairs, natures spirit has it all dyed up for good price. Badger

·
Registered
549 Posts
Pro Sportfishser?

I Distribute in North America for a small company from Denmark...Pro Sportfisher.

We have Finn and Arctic Marble Fox. Both have good guard hair and are fairly long.

Dealers are finally becoming easy to find if you're interested.

~Deschutes Angler
~The Fly Fishing Shop
~Fin and Fire
~The Caddis Fly Shop
~Bears Den
~Tight Lines
~Northwest Fly Fishing Outfitters
~Gorge Fly Shop
~Fly Fishing Specialties
~The Fly Fishing Shop
~Patient Angler
+ a bunch more

Here are a couple of photos: 1st one Arctic Marble Fox...2nd one Finn

Attachments

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,735 Posts
Nice Stuff

Looks like quality to me

·
Sponsor
87 Posts
Hi Dr Bob!

I have played around with hair replacement for feather hackles quite a bit. I find the guard hair on Nutria the best. Great action and it does not mat down. Here is a picture; this one is spun, not with a dubbing loop. I think it is better for your purpose then any of the foxes, badger, or opossum, which are all nice materials in their own right but they are all quite a bit softer and tend to collapse compared to heron. Hope that helps. CHeers.

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
black bear! Great stuff, tougher than nails, ties in tight with minimal wraps (as opposed to slippery hair like squirrel...)

Also grey fox, as per the rusty rat wing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts