Spey Pages banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Beulah, G Loomis, Sage, Hardy
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really torn about the idea of putting up for sale my first ever spey rod... It's in amazing shape the Echo Dec Hogan II 7130. I just don't know if I can do it, or what it would even be worth...

You see I have a bit of a problem and have already bought 3 Beulah Rods this yr (So Far). I realize I don't have ⅓ as many rods as some of you addicts out there. (You Now Who You Are) With our numbers on a steep decline, buying another 7wt seems silly without moving one. That Deco was how I hooked and landed my very first steelhead on the fly. I mean that's gotta be worth something, how do you put a price on good karma?

I have decided to sell my G Loomis IMX Pro 51111 (albeit with little interest). It's more of a Tweener rod for me, I mean it's a perfect summer steelhead rod and an amazing big water trout stick.. However close by I have no big trout water so my IMX 31111 works perfect. And more importantly my 2 Beulah 6wts are going to be my go to long line rods for summer steelhead work.

I'm worried, how much bad karma is going my way if I sell off my First? Does this mean I can only sell it to a virgin, how do these rules work?

Jer

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
1,042 Posts
G’Day Jer,
This is a tough cross road you’re facing in your spey angling journey. I kept my first spey rods that I learned to salmon fish with; a spliced Playfair Greenheart Vibration rod and a Shapes spliced cane switch wand. These rods belonged to my Gramps and he gave them to me after I caught my first salmon “all by myself” with them. I still fish with them and cherish their memories and share these heirlooms with my son and daughters at our salmon camp.
I have purchased and inherited many other rods through my years of speying and have passed on many of them when I found that they were forgotten and relegated to a forlorn display on my rod racks. I actually enjoyed seeing them in the hands of novice spey enthusiasts and feeling their delight when advising and instructing these anglers on their casting nuances.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

·
Registered
652 Posts
I feel your pain Jer. I too still own my first rod, echo DHII 7130. The rod has a lot of good mojo and has landed many fish, but I haven’t picked it up in years. It makes some sense to keep a back up rod…I always thought that if I did sell I would want it to go to someone starting out.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I’d like to point to 808 as a prime example of hoarding, but as I sat around campfire this week, I was asked how many fly rods I had. In hopes of looking better, I tried, Fly rods, or spey rods? It didn’t help. I've moved a bunch, but kept a much bigger bunch. I’m sentimental as hell, with my kids and outdoor gear.

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
2,367 Posts
I hear what Jim Elie is saying. If there is a memory of a person attached to a rod I have a hard time ever letting it go. If it is just a piece of fiberglass and graphite that I happen to really like then it means less. I say keep the Dec Hogan and just make sure to give it some quality time. If the quality of the time is not up to standard then boot it to the curb for a fair price and move on.

·
Registered
Trout & Salmon - 11.3ft switch, 15ft spey, 9ft single handed rods, various 6-7wt
137 Posts
I sold off my first real high-end, pro film camera (Eos 1N) in the early 2000’s. At the time when I bought it, it was the best that money could buy and I had to get a bank loan.

The only reason I sold it was to finance more new camera gear. Since then, a lot of gear has come and gone and I don’t really miss any of it.

But!! I eventually regretted selling my first and was able to track it down and buy it back…

As for fly rods…I still have my first rod in my home. A Browning 8’6” 6/7 wt that my parents bought for me when I was 10 y/o. I gave it to my son last year…and although I don’t regret gifting it to him…I do miss using it. Lol

Whenever I fish without him, I’ll sneak off with the rod.

I guess moral of the story is…if you’re already worried about regretting it…you’ll probably regret it.😂

·
Administrator
20,461 Posts
As for fly rods…I still have my first rod in my home. A Browning 8’6” 6/7 wt that my parents bought for me when I was 10 y/o.
My first fly rod was a Browning Sila-flex 8'6" 6/7 >>> black blank with brown wraps and a brown hypalon grip. Same rod?
My parents bought it for me when I turned 12 at LeBaron's Outdoor Store in Toronto along with a Pfleugar Medalist 1495 and a Cortland 444 WF7F.

Mike

·
Registered
Trout & Salmon - 11.3ft switch, 15ft spey, 9ft single handed rods, various 6-7wt
137 Posts
My first fly rod was a Browning Sila-flex 8'6" 6/7 >>> black blank with brown wraps and a brown hypalon grip. Same rod?
My parents bought it for me when I turned 12 at LeBaron's Outdoor Store in Toronto along with a Pfleugar Medalist 1495 and a Cortland 444 WF7F.

Mike
Mine is “The Gold Medallion” deep blue blank with lighter blue, red and gold wraps, cork grip. 8’6” 6/7wt with a Cortland graphite clicker with palming rim and 444 7wt

You still have yours?

·
Registered
137 Posts
One more firsts story. I inherited a nice older Fenwick single hander…a 9ft 9wt…great action on it for salmon bombers. I love the rod!
Ran into a buddy on the river one day and he was almost convinced it was his first salmon rod…maybe somehow made the rounds and came back around for him to get a look at it again. He’s not the kind of guy who would ask to buy it back unless I offered…but I think he was waiting for me to offer. Lol

·
Registered
201 Posts
Do not sell it. It’s not worth much, monetarily, but the sentimental value is yours.
I sold my first nice fly rod many years ago, I was young and had replaced it and figured I didn’t need to hold onto old stuff. Turns out the old graphite Orvis Superfines are sort of collectible and I had a classic before it was classic. I had a notification set for eBay and one finally came up, same rod same year and I bought it back for a lot more than I sold it 20 years ago! I’m glad to have it, haven’t even fished it yet, but I’m still bummed that its not the actual rod I walked out of the store with 25 some years ago. Sentimental value is priceless.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
I gave away my first Orvis Spey rod to someone starting out. I just moved on to a meiser of same length/ wt and was keeping the orvis as a backup. Then I bought another meiser not too far off (slightly longer). I then felt I didn't need the backup as I had 2 meisers covering all I want. And I had no intention wilfully going back to the orvis.... :rolleyes:... So I gave it to someone who wanted to start and had a limited budget! I didn't need the money I would have got from selling it...

Just my story! But giving it to someone starting out would certainly provide Mojo!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Now is a great time to sell any IMX product. Gloomis dropped the ball in terms of production so any non goofy rod of theirs should fetch some decent $.

If you want to stop selling rods, just get some once in a life time rods, like burkheimers ;)

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
845 Posts
It can be a dilemma for sure. Look at it as letting go of an old girlfriend and the romance of the new one will outshine the old one. I sold my first one, one I caught my first spey steelhead on and I have fond memories that will always be with me. I knew I would likely never use it again. But, I do have another old rod I have not used in years and likely never will, and can't get myself to part with as I had a real romance with it for many years. Who says we can't have a harem when it comes to spey rods? ;);)

·
Registered
568 Posts
There is no bad karma with moving into and out of rods. Only good memories. You may someday down the road have regrets. Mine is a Sage 389 LL I should have never sold. Still a very cool rod to this day by any standard. My buddy Jeff Perin who owns The Fly Fisher's Place regretted selling his Scott F794-4 original Brick red blank color. Luckily, I never sold mine. When you are done with a stick, let somebody else make some memories!

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I only miss one piece of equipment I ever owned...which I sold in a moment of business weakness when I was uncertain of the future. It was the ultimate switch rod reel, and in hindsight the buyer got the deal of a lifetime. But I sold it to fund a new puppy...and after 7 years, she's been everything I hoped!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts