Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Beulah, G Loomis, Sage, Hardy
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really torn about the idea of putting up for sale my first ever spey rod... It's in amazing shape the Echo Dec Hogan II 7130. I just don't know if I can do it, or what it would even be worth...

You see I have a bit of a problem and have already bought 3 Beulah Rods this yr (So Far). I realize I don't have ⅓ as many rods as some of you addicts out there. (You Now Who You Are) With our numbers on a steep decline, buying another 7wt seems silly without moving one. That Deco was how I hooked and landed my very first steelhead on the fly. I mean that's gotta be worth something, how do you put a price on good karma?

I have decided to sell my G Loomis IMX Pro 51111 (albeit with little interest). It's more of a Tweener rod for me, I mean it's a perfect summer steelhead rod and an amazing big water trout stick.. However close by I have no big trout water so my IMX 31111 works perfect. And more importantly my 2 Beulah 6wts are going to be my go to long line rods for summer steelhead work.

I'm worried, how much bad karma is going my way if I sell off my First? Does this mean I can only sell it to a virgin, how do these rules work?

Jer

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
986 Posts
G’Day Jer,
This is a tough cross road you’re facing in your spey angling journey. I kept my first spey rods that I learned to salmon fish with; a spliced Playfair Greenheart Vibration rod and a Shapes spliced cane switch wand. These rods belonged to my Gramps and he gave them to me after I caught my first salmon “all by myself” with them. I still fish with them and cherish their memories and share these heirlooms with my son and daughters at our salmon camp.
I have purchased and inherited many other rods through my years of speying and have passed on many of them when I found that they were forgotten and relegated to a forlorn display on my rod racks. I actually enjoyed seeing them in the hands of novice spey enthusiasts and feeling their delight when advising and instructing these anglers on their casting nuances.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

·
Registered
568 Posts
I feel your pain Jer. I too still own my first rod, echo DHII 7130. The rod has a lot of good mojo and has landed many fish, but I haven’t picked it up in years. It makes some sense to keep a back up rod…I always thought that if I did sell I would want it to go to someone starting out.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I’d like to point to 808 as a prime example of hoarding, but as I sat around campfire this week, I was asked how many fly rods I had. In hopes of looking better, I tried, Fly rods, or spey rods? It didn’t help. I've moved a bunch, but kept a much bigger bunch. I’m sentimental as hell, with my kids and outdoor gear.

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
2,245 Posts
I hear what Jim Elie is saying. If there is a memory of a person attached to a rod I have a hard time ever letting it go. If it is just a piece of fiberglass and graphite that I happen to really like then it means less. I say keep the Dec Hogan and just make sure to give it some quality time. If the quality of the time is not up to standard then boot it to the curb for a fair price and move on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts