Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
those who have the test lines, try this: turn the head around and cast it! Marlow had one set up like this at a recent spey gathering and it cast beautifully. Try it and report back with your impressions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Scan heads

Ive tried that on the full floater. Its ok I have not yet cut it so I could use what ever I wanted to use for a sink tip. I was still playing with it as a dry line Its kind of cool if you do trun it around it has a small taper so it kind of nice to cut it and loop it and plat around with over hang. But I'll have top try and cut it and bout some kind of sink tip on the end and see what it does As a skagit head. Or any kind of head for thta matter I'll I fill about it right now is that it makes a great overhead line

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Dana.
This afternoon I turned around both my SSH's, a float and a intermediate 11/12w and had a couple of shots, with two different size flies attached..

The results really weren't a supprise as I have 'mucked about' with heads for some time. When using a big fly, 3/0 hook and 140mm long, on both lines, the change caused the fly and leader to 'dump'. On the smaller fly, the the effect wasn't as noticeable.

When casting, the roll-over on the back cast was not user friendly at all, in fact the effect was more like clunk, clunk as the fly and leader came around.

The front taper, 6feet and 6inch tip section, on the SSH are designed to smooth out the roll-over and reduce the dumping and in doing to make the line user friendly.

The Intermediate appeared to be effected more than the floater in dumping, however this most likely was 'me' and not the lines design.

Kind regards.
Barry Ryan.
I am a Talon and RIO Agent.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Berrt Noticed from the end of your post your a..

Talon rod agent 'down under.'

I've used/have a several of their 'float rods,' and regular drift rods. Very nice equipment.

(Go for the 'plug' here) How are the spey rods?

fae

Side bar: considering how many folks are members of this board/lurkers/etc., you might want to recommend to the folks in Woodland, WA that a 'sponcership' may be well worth the few bucks it cost per year. When you're trying to hit a 'niche group' "they is us."
:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good morning Fred A Evans and All.
Please be advised that I was not going for a hit or a plug as you crudely put it.

I was in fact only answering Dana's question. Nothing more and nothing less.

The fact that I placed a notice on the bottom of my posting was because I totaly dislike and do not beleive it is honest to answer any question without the listiner being made aware of all the facts and interests included. And sadly there is too much free sneaky advertising conducted on too many sites, to the level myself and a number of others now do not beleive that is written by a number of pushers out there in keyboard land.

May I suggest to managerment, have posters place their interests on the bottom of all posting so we the viewers can made a fair judgment in all cases. Be the first in the World.

The changing of the SSH around, I cannot understand why people have not responded to a simple request, if they are fishing or casting as much as it seems they are by reading postings, please no names.

Free adverising/free hit/plug.
Free plug, RIO Fly Lines pay the accounts here with others, so where is the problem.

Talon Australia/Aussiefly.com.au, we have asked for information about advertising twice, but that has failed to appear.
This then makes me think we are not welcome, and the advertising is a closed club.
Please remember I have asked twice to spend money on advertising. I now am starting to think this site does not want any more advertising dollars or to advertise other brands of products

Therefore Mr Fred A Evans your statement is way out of step and I beleive a apology would be the correct thing.

Kind regards to All
Barry Ryan.
I am a RIO and Talon agent.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure what Marolw did to the line I was using, but he does like to tinker with lines so I suspect it probably had some of the front taper removed. I'll have to ask him or maybe he will see this post and respond. Anyways, my post was intended to further encourage the spey line experimentation we often hear of on this site, and I was and remain curious to hear if anyone else has flipped the Rio heads around.

Uncle Barry, I agree with Peter that you took Fred wrong. As far as advertising goes and suggestions of closed shop etc, I have responded to you, and have asked Juro and JimW about your messages to them, and they have both told me that they have indeed responded to you and are awaiting further reply from you. So either we have some wires crossed or emails got lost (happens more often than we like to think on the net--never receive several emails a month for various reasons). Whatever the problem, it is best for us to discuss this directly rather than on a thread in which it has zero relevance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dear Fred and All.
If I read your statement incorrectly, please forgive me.

However you wrote the following which lead me to the conclusion.
"When you're trying to hit a 'niche group' "they is us."

Again, I am not trying to hit any group or one, however I was only telling/writing the truth so all could made a clear judgement on the facts.

I was trying, and trying to spend advertising dollars on this site and cannot beleive whats happened and as a result I am starting to wonder about things and some of the people.

Kind regards to All.
Barry Ryan.
I am a RIO and Talon agent.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have to agree Barry completely misunderstood Fred's good natured comments.
As for 'home-made' shooting heads I too like to tinker. One of my favourites is made from30' taken from the back end of a grand spey which I turned around. This puts the bulk of the mass about 20-25 feet up the head with a slight taper leading back to the running line. With the correct amount of overhang(totally finnicky) this rig will cast heavy sink tips and huge flies with ease. I used the front 40' (intact-facing the direction it was designed) as a floating head. The front end of a grandspey will turn over anything so this head rules as well. To show my shorter head fishing bias:I think this is the best thing that can be done with this line-sorry Simon!
Brian:hehe:

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Barry,

I expect that our respective concerns are being addressed. I suggest that we keep business dealings and correpondence behind the scenes and keep the forum/speyclave on topic.

Thank you for your understanding and support!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dear Peter, Brian and All.

Guys, I have said I am sorry about what I thought and read Mr Evans wrote, I apologized, what more would you like?

The man made a statement, I read the words, but the words were not what was meant, way too tricky for me, or maybe it is because I come from another land, we read written Engish differently.

Now, can we forget/close the matter and move on, please.

What ever happened to Dana's request for the people who received a free SSH from RIO to turn it around and have a cast or two and report back to him?

And I am asking myself, why am I the only one to turn around the line and try.

I seem to remember that when Simon was offering the lines, free for testing there was a flood of replys, now a simple request, and we have sleepers. From where I come from it doesn't look too fair.

The nice person who said their line was sink tip and wouldn't/couldn't turn it around, I just reread Dana's request, there is not any mention of what tip line to turn around, so how about turning it around and just have a couple of casts, as it will only take a few minutes it shouldn't intrude into your fishing too much.
And it might be interesting/fun to have a little shot.

Peter, you wrote and I quote.
FWIW, I agree with you that those with a commercial interest should declare it up front, and I believe that those who frequent this place do just that.

I have read through a number of threads and I cannot find anybody declaring what they represent/sell/or being looked after by brand or shop x.. except the very odd one, very odd.

Or, have I misread what people have written, and as a result would like to see people declare their interests on this wonderful very informative site, the 'in group' may know what people represent but others like me do not.

Kind regards.
Barry Ryan.
I am a RIO and Talon Agent in Australia.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts