Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone else is switching over to full cage reel design because of mono running lines slipping between cage and spool? I was fishing an Ion but every once and a while the line would slip and all I could think about was - great a Steelie is gonna crush it right now and I've got to take the spool off to fix. I switched over to a Tioga Magnum 12 (Full cage) and no problems now. I see Lamson has 2 full cage reel options the Arx and the Guru HD. Anyone else having slippage issues?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted to put this back on the top of the board as the post on the Islander Fly Reels running line slippage was starting to get some reels mentioned.

But what has your experience been?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Not sure what you mean by slippage...

Any reasonable knot that attaches the backing to the spool will, by friction alone AFTER cranking on a couple hundred yards or so plus mono running line plus head,etc will force your reel's drag system to take over.
Am I missing something?

·
Registered
485 Posts
OK, read the Islander reel thread... I've never had that particular issue with Abel or Teton before although I at some point was warned about wider reels in general.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts