Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For sale: MK I 3 3/8" Hardy St. George. Rare in the fact that it uses 3 rivets instead of screws on the latch. Likely made between 1917-1921. Single rivet smooth aluminum foot. Large arbor with two vent holes. Frame and spool both stamped "35". Crack free smokey blue/grey agate. Smooth as they get with a very wide range of tension. Weighs 5.50oz. Absolutely beautiful reel. $1000 + shipping. Please feel free to PM me with any questions that you may have.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Truly oddball, but not for the reason you have given.

It's a 'married' reel - a St George frame, with a Silex spool (but they only put on one handle).

The spool having a large arbor (the Silex was/is a baitcasting reel meant to be loaded with mono only) means that the already small capacity of the 3 3/8" narrow drum St George construct means that there really won't be much space for any backing behind even a very low number DT, WF or shooting head fly line - so a really limited utility as a fly reel.

Mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,

I hadn't given much thought to the Silex spool idea, but it certainly could be. From all of my digging, Ive came across a couple other St. Georges with the 3 rivet latch from the same era and all matching numbers. They undoubtedly came from the factory like this. As for capacity, it fits a WF6F and 50yds of backing with no issues.

Chase

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
After posting the above, I did have a quick flit around the 'net to see if other reels of the same era had these features - it is true that Hardy did make them like this, a small St George cage with a medium arbor Silex-esque spool, and the true Silex (there are a number of models) spools were slightly different in some cases. It would appear that it was only on later reels of this size that the standard arbor was small on these trout reels.

The matching cage & spool numbers does indicate that they were matched in the Hardy Alnwick works in England.

It's good to know & reassuring (for potential buyers) the actual capacity of this interesting reel :)

Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
Chase there is nothing wrong with your/this reel, here is the same model st George but a 3 3/4.
Good luck with your sale.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts