Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought this line on the weekend, totally forgetting that I already had a similar one. So my loss is your gain.

If you think Skagit stuff gets down, try this line. It has a Type 7 head of about 33' and the weight is about 275. I haven't taken it off the spool to measure and weigh, but based on other 40+ lines I own, this should be about right.

The running line is yellow Ridge intermediate. The line has a Spey line like taper so it'll Spey cast as well as overhead.

$35.00 includes shipping to Canada and CONUS. Paypal only please. SOLD

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
If the deal falls through, or you buy another and forget.....please let me know:razz::razz:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Will this line work on a 10'-7or8 weight rod, single hand? Want to try some casting as I am getting back into it. Want to try the spey rod also. Living in Paris part-time.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Let me know Brent....I will take it if it doesn't work out on your rod....thanks

Paul

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will this line work on a 10'-7or8 weight rod, single hand? Want to try some casting as I am getting back into it. Want to try the spey rod also. Living in Paris part-time.
Yes it will as it's a single hand line. Airflo 40+ lines are almost two line weights over their rating number as they are short. The weight is necessary to load the rod for distance. They'll feel heavy when overhead casting, but very nice for Spey casting, when used on a rod of the same rating. If you have a rod that isn't a stiff stick, you may want to drop a line weight. I use a 6 wt. 40+ on my 7 wt. 9' rod.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Brent, I dropped it off at your place.

Cheers

Peter
Thank you again, Peter.
that was very kind of you to do that and greatly appreciated.

I cast the line last night on a 3/4 wt 10'6" Meiser switch. It's not perfect and hard to unstick, but I'm going to keep it. I think it needs the same mass but about 8 feet shorter. Or I just need more back cast room to get the right load.

does it ever sink, though! holy!

Norseman,
If it ever falls out of my favour I'll send you a note.

Brent

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Make the lift slow and high. Use only the Double and Circle Speys. Should come out of the water clean for you. I use these lines on 9' single handers and can lift them with no roll cast, so it should be fine on a switch.

The first three feet is essentially level so trimming that off can make a huge difference on the lift, plus the turnover will be better (not that it's bad).

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I use a 6wt 40+ on my meiser 3/4 switch, and it's really nice. I suspect the 7 may be a touch heavy, then the sink on top of it.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Peter,
thanks for the info. I was trying to single spey and it was failing quite a few casts. I found a poke moved the tip of the line/fly up a bit more to allow a better cast. I'll keep your advice in mind and probably cut a few feet off the tip! I don't think this line is really meant for a delicate presentation so I doubt it will affect anything!

SLSS,
thanks for the info. Bob said that 6 or 7 would work. ideally I would use this line in a 6wt but I never knew about it until it came up on here! And I wouldn't pay full price for it, either!

thanks again, Peter.

Brent

1 - 14 of 14 Posts