Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLD PENDING FUNDS 12/12 Hardy Marquis Salmon No. 2 with spare spool. The original spool has a crack on the inside cog (see photo) but it works fine. The good folks at Hardy sent me a NEW replacement spool. Comes with reel cover and 150 yds of 30 lb backing: $275.00

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm interested

Do you know how the gear got cracked? Was the spool dropped? If so, is there anything else damaged? PM sent

·
Registered
333 Posts
Do you know how the gear got cracked? Was the spool dropped? If so, is there anything else damaged? PM sent
The gear is heated to expand them before they are placed on the arbor of the spool-any inherent flaw in the gear metal may result in the gear splitting as it cools and shrinks.This looks like one of the Korean made reels and the materials are not of quality of UK made reel-IMHO

PS not knocking the item just answering a question.

·
Spey Is The Way
931 Posts
I have both English and Korean made Hardy reels. I find the Korean reels to be excellent and in some ways better that the English made reels. IMHO

·
the thinking man's idiot
145 Posts
The gear is heated to expand them before they are placed on the arbor of the spool-any inherent flaw in the gear metal may result in the gear splitting as it cools and shrinks.This looks like one of the Korean made reels and the materials are not of quality of UK made reel-IMHO

PS not knocking the item just answering a question.
FWIW wouldn't heating the gear make the outer diameter larger and the inner diameter smaller (and therefore make the ring MORE difficult to fit)? It doesn't expand in just one direction when heated. If anything I'd think they'd cool the spool then slip the gear ring on.

Just asking a question.

·
Registered
333 Posts
FWIW wouldn't heating the gear make the outer diameter larger and the inner diameter smaller (and therefore make the ring MORE difficult to fit)? It doesn't expand in just one direction when heated. If anything I'd think they'd cool the spool then slip the gear ring on.

Just asking a question.
As an amateur machinist this is how we fit gears onto spindles[arbors] so I would assume same process used in reels but what do I know?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts