Spey Pages banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a remedy for forzen reels? I lost a fish today because of that. What do you guys around the Great Lakes do ? (rub it with brautwurst?)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hydrophobia!

Keep the reel away from water. Become paranoid about what your reel contacts. If I'm fishing alone and the snow is very deep I'll put a neoprene case on my reel and get the handle up on a tree branch so I can clear ice or anything else at the tip end. Keep your reel up when you are wading so it doesn't get splashed. It doesn't take much water to freeze up a reel, especially some of the models with tight machining (small gaps=easy to ice).
Closed reels are a little more resistant than open back reels, as it's harder for the water to get in. Lastly, if you're going for the day, take a back up reel if you can. Unforeseen events do happen, and it's very tough to de-ice a reel in subfreezing temps once it's been frozen.

Carl

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
This time last year I inadvertantly(sp?) dunked my Marquis #2 and got it completely soaked. I found that a couple minutes later the spool had frozen to the frame. I dunked it again to thaw and then made a conscious effort to move the spool back and forth, while I fished, for a couple minutes which alleviated the freezing. Obviously the backing was still saturated but it didn't seem to hinder the reel. I've had the same issue and solution with large arbor, ported frame reels. Once they get wet, I think you just have to work them periodically to keep them free.
Keep in mind I only did it this way because I had left all of my bratwurst in the car!:chuckle:

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Frozen reels

DO NOT, under any circumstances, drop you reel in the water. That's what guides do to scare the crap out of clients in winter conditions.

That said, without a guide, ensure you have a back-up reel, close to your body. Make sure it's well greased. If you only have one reel and it's frozen, then take a break and hold it to your mid-section or under your arm. Same thing as you might do with cold hands and fingers. Once it's freed up, then grease it up with some reel lube or whatever. Absent that, go to the nearest bar. Things will thaw our pretty quick there.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Reels get dropped in the water no matter how hard you try to keep them out, trust me eventually it's going to get dunked and freeze up no matter what you do. Or, sooner or later it will get snowed on in a wet snowstorm and the snow can melt and get in there, too, if the temp subsequently drops. SVa01 has it down...Do your best to try to keep it dry, if that fails, dunk it every cast and test to be sure it's free by pulling off or reeling in a few inches to turn the reel at the start and end of the drift. If you let it sit without moving the reel it will freeze up during the drift and that's a problem. A little extra work but it's just part of life fishing in sub-freezing weather.

I've found that my Tibor is the best reel I've used in freezing conditions, even dunked it doesn't tend to freeze up as easily as my hardys. The worst reel I've ever used is a Galvan Torque. All those close tolerance leads to a lot of places that ice can freeze to quickly.

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
yo Mark

No remedies. The water coming off the line as it is cranked in will spit on the frame and freeze to the spool. Ice happens. Just keep everything moving every so often....then go to the pub to thaw it out

Gary

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Walk over to Founders, have the hippie chick waitress hold it in her wooly pits for a bit.

I have had them freeze before even getting to the river, condensation building up going from a warm truck to a cold outdoor environment. Keep it moving, seems the full caged reels can be the worst.

·
Banned
974 Posts
I have had a number of the high-end cork drags hydro-plane or freeze up, sealed drags feel like they were a block of ice, and, clickers that don't click. Our Bougles stay warm at home when the temp is 10 or below. Still, I am out there when there is sheet ice, and a fall requires an ambulance. You have a different respect for anglers in the GL's that you see on the river from now to March.

Oh, as far as reels go. I haven't found one that works at 0 like it does at 50.

- David

P.S. - Winter is returning in force tomorrow night.

OK, it's a single-handed rod but it's also single digit temps. :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't afford a Tibor and I'm too far from Michigan for the hippie gal to stick my....reel into her hairy....armpit (women shave out here),so I'll have to muddle along keeping it dry and/or heading to the bar. I think it was condensation that did me in.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Dave, looking at the picture ...

Tell me again just how much "fun" you're having?:whoa: Geeze that looks cold!
Fred

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
David

no gloves?!!! That must have been a quick picture. At least you have sunshine.

·
Banned
974 Posts
t_richerzhagen said:
no gloves?!!! That must have been a quick picture. At least you have sunshine.
The gloves were off because I had just taken a picture of my friend who took that picture of me. The river was unfishable, the only reason there is open water is because that spot is near a dam.

- David

·
Registered
506 Posts
frozen reels

First off no grease for winter. Use TRI-FLOW liquid lubricant with Teflon. If you cant find TRI-FLOW try Quantun HOT SAUCE reel oil. Then keep a small can of WD-40 in your vest and if the reel gets wet spray it with it. Also WD-40 your guides you will find they do not freeze as fast.

From the old guy that's been there.

Dornblaster,,, I can even keep that Tioga 12 that I got from you a couple of years back workin.

Skilly

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Mark Ward said:
(women shave out here).

I know a few out that way that don't, since Phish quit touring they don't have much going on. I could get you some phone numbers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Skilly,

I nevr thought of WD-40, but that sounds like a good idea. I just figured out today that grease is a no-no.

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
Yo J

the pit treatment don't work....damn hippie chick put steam on the reel...had to sip another pint of Dirty Bastard while it dried out.

G

1 - 18 of 18 Posts