Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I now sport a TSA Lifetime Achievement Award plate holding 4 pieces of a collarbone together with screws thanks to a failed manned flight experiment with a mountain bike and a muddy hillside. The affected arm is the non-dominant one. The non-fishing doc said I could be back playing golf in 3-6 months.

Anyone on the board injure their shoulder or, esp. collarbone, and have any suggestions in respect of rehab exercises or time frame for being able to wield an 11' 7 weight switch rod like Darth Maul's lightsaber?

Any thoughts on the relative (un)ease and timeline for using a single handed rod vs. a two-hander when recovering from this type of injury?

Fortunately, I had very little skill to begin with so I'm not falling from a very lofty pinnacle by having to start over.

·
Banned
973 Posts
I've always thought spey casting should be called slinging or sling casting. Isn't that what we do, sling it here and sling it there? I think you should be able to do a little slinging even when you're in a sling, just keep it tight to the body and everything should be fine. Maybe it could qualify as therapy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Many years ago, when I healed much faster, I fractured my collar bone in a motorcycle accident. Doctor advised me NOT to ride a motorcycle for X amount(I can remember the exact time and don't want to give wrong info) of weeks, and not to do anything that would put pressure on the clavicle. Basically very limited activity until the bone starts to heal, then some light exercises for the muscles. I didn't listen to the doc and went riding again. Came to a stop sign, put my foot down on an oil slick, slipped but stayed upright. That little pressure re-fractured my collar bone. I felt the "pop". Guess what I'm saying is, when in doubt, ask the doctor and take his advise to heart.

briansII

·
Registered
446 Posts
Find a good physical therapist

Find a good physical therapist that specializes in Sport Rehab, with your doctor's permission. In the US, physical therapists have years of training and usually know exactly what exercises to do to strengthen the specific area plus your body core to support the collar bone. I have broken both of mine, plus a few other bones at one time or another. Recovery was always the best when I was working with a physical therapist.

Mark

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My physio owns a condo in Maui thanks to family fees

Have an excellent sports physio who I'll begin seeing next week, but he won't know spey casting from bobsledding. I'll bring him a DVD to show the casting strokes. I suspect that he'll be able to take it from there.

It's a pretty skinny bone so I can see how you could refracture it without any new blunt force trauma.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd be more concerned with some of the trails & wet slick clay hillsides that I know you do ! Sorry to hear of accident , trying to keep up to young guy? :whoa: See you later , 6 weeks or so. Regards , Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts