Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
in the WHOLE WORLD!

S2H136FES78** 13'6" 7/8 4 $575.00 N/A N/A $485.00

**FES - The "Fred Evans Special," named after a very good friend...

Is that TO COOL, or what!!
:D

Should add: this is the rod I keep in the Lexus ... one never knows where one will be 'during lunch hour.' :smokin:

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
HI Fred
What is the page address? Also these switch rods have me very interested. I've often thought of a short twohander for smaller rivers, which I fish

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
What is a Lexus?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hope I got this right for the web connect.

http://www.meiserflyrods.com/s2h-spey-test.html

If that's not correct, go to 'home page' on the board, click 'spon's,' scroll down to R B Meiser's rods site. Click on this and you're into his page. Again, 'click' on "rods," and you'll find a listing of all his rods.

Quite extensive info on 3 and 4 piece 2-handers, his switch rods, etc.

"What's a Lexus?" My wife's 'old car.'
:hehe:

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
I don't think we have any those kinda cars in Skidrow Woolley

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Nice Rod

Fred's favorite is a nice rod. I just got to try mine this afternoon. I had to be a little careful getting to the water with the snow on the bank and blocks of ice stacked up on the edge. It does work nicely with the 7/8 long delta.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Who needs the St. Croix signature series...

... when Fred has his own! Now that's impressive, having a quality rod named after you!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris, "Roger That!"

I had no idea Meiz was going to do that; a 'piece of equipment' of the Gods.

But what really got the "ah sucks" out of me was the reference to a 'very good friend.' Bob is a true Gentle Man; that, from him, is a warm compliment!

Fred

·
fly on little wing
1,100 Posts
Hi Fred

I am interested in this rod, or maybe a lighter weight. Is it closer to a 7 or 8 weight? What are you lining it with? Are you using tips with it?

Bob, I see you have a 6/7 Gary Anderson based rod. This is very intriguing for GL winter steel. I may need one for indy work. What lines are you using with this? So many rods, so little $$.

thanks

Gary

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hey Gary,

Yep, Gary's done a real nice job.

Medium fast/fast progressives. Real sweet, but plenty of authority....And the blank only weighs 4 oz. so it builds up into a 7oz. something finished rod.

The 6/7 13' lines the AirFlow very true. Either the Standard or the long belly. I perfer the standard belly with tips on this rod, and the long belly for dry line work, or with poly tips to get deeper.....Rios in the Mid-Spey or Standard, same deal.

Also been messing around with Hardy Mach-1 lines with the FES 7/8/9 WOW! really nice....Thanks to Doublespey and Speybum on that lead !

Both Gary's 5/6 and 6/7 13s have been doing well on medium and small rivers like our Klamath/Rogue/Umpqua Summer fishery, with both line wts. handling fish into the 12 pound range no worries. The 6/7 has enough authority that it will soundly defeat, and not exhaust a 15 pound fish.

Will be using the 6/7 on a couple of S.Ump./Rogue tribs tomorrow AM....Field test work....Dirty job but somebodies got a do it...};^)

Fred and JD....I'll report back in like a good boy on Monday....Talk about Gus's Jefferson mini Clave.

Ahhhhhhh... I long to seek the Siren's haunting alure... Like that which will be found in the pleasures of a screeming reel.

Dang, that was pretty good....Better cap the Scotch.

Meiz

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fes 7-8-9

"I am interested in this rod, or maybe a lighter weight. Is it closer to a 7 or 8 weight? What are you lining it with? Are you using tips with it? "

Gary,

I'm using a 7/8 Airflo long belly Delta on this rod with great results. The rod is a 'heavy 7 or a light 8 depending upon your personal views. Far more authority than the sage 7136-4 in handling long lines/leaders even for winter water work. This rod would easily handle poly sinking leaders. The sage .... kind of doubt it would, other than the lighter ones (I prefer the 10' extra fast sinking across the board). This rod has the 'authority' to handle 15-18 foot leaders and a single weighted fly (egg type pattern sized) and lay it all out there in the 90-100 foot range.

Farther than that, you're going to have to cut back on the looong leader -- too much anchor.

Hooked two on the Chetco this weekend on the rod. Both about 8-10 pound fish (Willow Bar) and had no trouble landing the first. The second was a 'long range release' when the fish went airborne on me. Happened so fast I didn't get a chance to drop the rod tip while he was already into 'his' second flip in the air.

Bye Bye Mr. Fish .....

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Chetco...you're making me homesick. Well, it was never close to home, but the Chetco was the first steelhead river I ever loved.

I used to make 1 or 2 pilgrimages from SoCal to the Chetco every year, from about 1980 to 1990. I only drift-fished for winter steelhead in the early years, but I caught my first steelhead on a fly there one October. I think it was a little lost Rogue half-pounder, but I was pleased.

Each year, I just penciled in a week of vacation--usually between Christmas and New Years--and took my chances on the weather. Usually the river fished fine. If the fishing was poor, I'd find time to go back in February!

Since the big Biscuit fire I hope it still holds its color as well as it used to.

My favorite run was Miller Bar. I used to park my camper right on the bar. If a storm was coming in, I'd set my alarm for the middle of the night so I could check and see if the water was coming up very fast, so I could get to high ground! I did move a few times, but never really needed to.

I would love to go back, but I hear its much more crowded than even 15 years ago, and it's a slow trip from Portland anyway.

So many memories...

What lines and flies were you fishing?

--Bill

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but I hear its much more crowded than even 15 years ago

Bill, you have nooooo clue!

Some areas were 'over run' with folks (Social Security), others where I did most of my fishing (Willow Bar and the top end of 'At Rivers Edge' RV park --you have to be 'camped there' to access the bar) were dead empty (save for guide boats .. sheesh. tons and tons and tons of these guys. Side Bar: ever see a river 'over fished by guide boats? This would be your top candidate. Back to Sheesh..)

Water I fished (Loeb, Ice Box, Little Redwood, etc.) were all in premo condition and outstanding water for fly rods. By Monday, water was 'up' but still clear. At this point, you needed (Willow being the exception) a wide river to cut the flow to make fly fishing 'worth it.'

If I can get Joan off the dime, a few pictures of the top end of 'at rivers edge.'
fae

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'd love to see some of the photos.

My memory must be fading, or the river has changed a fair bit. It's hard to picture Ice Box as good fly water, or even Loeb, at least where I used to hook fish there. I never fished Ice Box much, because it was always one of the most popular places, at least after Social Security. Plus, it deserves its name!

Redwood, Willow, and Miller do seem like they could be classic fly water. Of course, most of the fish I hooked (with drift gear) at Miller came from the pockets on the far side...hard to get a nice swing through there. Hmm, maybe that's the kind of water for underhand casts and Intruders!

Thanks for the note back. Sure wish I could go fishing...

--Bill

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Loeb Park on the Chetco.

The upper end of this (before it curls around the BIG ROCK into the deep water) is excellent fly water if the flows not rocking along. Actually, it's better with a fly rod than drift gear.

Lots of 'lead' gets contributed to this stretch so gear guys have a tendency to ignore same. More good to me. This water also has a major spawing stream located directly across from the 'middle' of the upper bar. Ergo, this is where the fish tend to hange out.

Best way to fish same, if your in a boat, is to beach/anchor across from the park and swing your fly(s).

Redwood requires (all but the lowest water) the use of heavy tips due to debth-speed of water. But the bar is several hundered yards long so you've got a lot of choices/runs.

Unfortunately, Joan didn't come with me (and she's got the dig. camera) when I was fishing, so only one picture of the water at the top end of 'At Rivers Edge' rv park. However, this IS the place you want to be an hour after tide change (3-3:30 PM). Fly water of the Gods, few folks (you have to be 'living/staying' at the park to access. Also the bar is a great pull out for "residents."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts