Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The big push of salmon that came up the lower river yesterday did not happen again today. Only observed one or two. Water visibility cleared but still a lot of leaves. Water temp. dropped a little to 60 degrees. Overall it was a slow day for most of the anglers in the section I was fishing.

I have had good luck with Black/olive patterns this time of the year so I put on this small 2.5" long cut-shank and rigged it with a #4 Octopus stinger hook.

I worked the same fast water pocket were I had success yesterday and was rewarded with this 25" male steelhead. He came racing towards me after he smashed the fly and I had to do some fast reeling to keep tension on the line. My only grab for 5 hours of swinging.

Carefully revived for the release. Only blemish was a lamprey wound on its lower flank.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,265 Posts
Another beauty you've got there, I'm stuck nursing an injured right knee with the most perfect October weather I've seen for 8 years right out my door. Cherish every day that you can go do it because things tend to happen that can stop you.

Great fish!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some beautiful fish you have posted in your reports! I am curious how long a rod you are fishing there?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am curious how long a rod you are fishing there?
IMO the most common rod length & weight for a spey rod I see on the Salmon River is 13 foot 7 weight. My rod is a ECHO Dec Hogan 13' 7wt.
I have 2 of them, one for back up incase I ever break the first one and have to sent it back for the Life Time warranty. ;) I've given it 5 years of heavy use so far and its still going strong!

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
5 hours well spent.. with shining rewards!

Gorgeous fish (both) they don't get any better. Nicely done.

·
Registered
76 Posts
nice fish!

we fished hard Friday..started above black hole and worked our way to pineville. no love. my buddies in drift boats were able to locate the pod of salmon/steelhead from thursday..they were holed up just below sportsman on saturday. above and below that, it was slow for much of the weekend. crazy how concentrated the fish remain, even 2 days after entering the river.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Fish Tech. As usual, a nice, informative post. On a slightly different topic, what kind of camera do you use? I use a point and shoot camera that takes nice photos, but many of the pics have too much data to upload to some sites.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Fish Tech. As usual, a nice, informative post. On a slightly different topic, what kind of camera do you use? I use a point and shoot camera that takes nice photos, but many of the pics have too much data to upload to some sites.
I use a Nikon Coolpix P330 Point-n-shoot that I carry on a neck strap with the camera tucked into one of the inside pockets of my Simms G3 Vest so it is always ready to pull out for a quick photo. I has a great f/1.8 lens :)
I upload my photos to ImageShack for sharing on fishing websites.

·
swingtime
14 Posts
what line rig are you using- from shooting head to leader setup--sink tip? MOW? tippet length? thanks for the info:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts