Spey Pages banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I placed an order this past Thursday and was pleasantly surprised that it arrived just yesterday. The bronzed mallard is on back-order so I walked the pooch to a nearby golf course this morning (an excellent source of materials BTW - ;)) and found the goose shoulder as the roof for these two. Also found a pair of cream-white marabou plumes that went as an under-wing for the No.3, dyed olive and mounted back-to-back. The idea was for a Glen Grants Fancy on the Partridge HE2 1/0. GR8LAKES FLYER said I was in for a treat with these. Wow - I had no idea what a nice hook. Without the BM and not sure if there is an under-wing to that pattern I ended with what you see here...
P9074080.jpg

Anyone familiar with the Glen Grants Fancy and the materials list would you please pass than on to me?
Thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ggf

Fancy.
-Silver/claret
-Topping
-herl
-Light olive
-silver tinsel
-jay/teal
-tippet strands/gallina/light turkey/
Gp tail/bm/topping
-herl

Id like to see.the dressing when done...
Both are killers.i fancy the sec..
Thanks
kyle

·
Administrator
19,458 Posts
Outstanding :whoa::whoa:
The HE2's quickly become favorites !!
Glad you like them too :)
I would swing either fly with maximum confidence my friend , nice work !!

Mike

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone and kyle for the list. I suspected there was tippet strands and gallina in the wing. I can swing the claret (red dyed purple) which I misunderstood for straight red or crimson. But it will be tough meeting the requirement for the jay. Maybe some sort of substitution?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again. I like the olive and black pattern also for the same reason: It has a subdued look and just seems right for clear water. I've tied a couple more using BM for the roof this time.

As for the HE2 compared to AJ 2091; this is the 1st fly tied on the HE2 and haven't fished these particular hooks as of yet. I have fished other Partridge hooks and like them just fine. I don't have the AJ to do a side-by-side comparison but the shape is very similar. This one is a 1/0 and it ties a big fly. Maybe I just have to get used to the size but can't imagine using larger for the typical steelhead. The standard AJ 1.5 hooks have either straightened-out or broken off at the barb in the past and haven't used them in six or seven years since switching to the Blue Heron Hook.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Thanks again. I like the olive and black pattern also for the same reason: It has a subdued look and just seems right for clear water. I've tied a couple more using BM for the roof this time.

As for the HE2 compared to AJ 2091; this is the 1st fly tied on the HE2 and haven't fished these particular hooks as of yet. I have fished other Partridge hooks and like them just fine. I don't have the AJ to do a side-by-side comparison but the shape is very similar. This one is a 1/0 and it ties a big fly. Maybe I just have to get used to the size but can't imagine using larger for the typical steelhead. The standard AJ 1.5 hooks have either straightened-out or broken off at the barb in the past and haven't used them in six or seven years since switching to the Blue Heron Hook.
Good to know about the aj. Its no wonder they are 8-10$ for (10)

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At $12 for ten - the Partridge aren't too much more and I've been told they will stand-up by others who've had the 1.5 break on them also. Looking forward to putting these through their paces.

Cheers

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I've been tying on and fishing the AJ blind eye hooks since Alec first made them available, which is like 15 years ago if not longer. And I've never had one of them break, unless I hit a rock with one on a backcast or "D" loop made close to shore. Likewise with the standard loop eye AJ Spey Hooks. I've never had one of them break either. I did have one AJ #5 hook bend when I tried to horse a 9 or 10 lb summer run a few years ago, but that wasn't the hook's fault, it was mine. I didn't lose the fish, but the hook bend was bent so the shank was no longer inline with the barb.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes Sir, I know. The Alec Jackson spey hook is and has been a standard for many years now. Many fly tiers call for it because it is (one of many) well suited for speys as well as other different styles of flies: In that sense, I doubt it is going to be dethroned anytime soon. It was the best, most readily-available hook I had found for a long while also. But I don't horse fish either and let them run themselves out. I'm referring to typical hatchery summer-run steelhead beating up on that hook and even breaking it that one instance which had me looking into others. Then the Blue Heron Spey Hook hit the scene. I can go into detail in terms of quality and the design of the BHSH - as far as hooks go.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I also really like Dave's Blue Heron Spey Hook. I think it is one of the best and nicest hooks currently available for spey and dee flies. The #3 I think is idea for spey flies, and the #1 for dees. The #2 works for either large spey flies or smaller dee flies. I'm very glad that Dave got the hook made and that he has it made from a very high quality hook manufacturer to his specifications. I'd like to see him offer in it #4 for summer/fall spey flies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts