Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a freestyle mixed wing that I tied yesterday. It's tied on an AJ 1.5 heavy wire, and will eventually be used as a boutineer for a friends wedding party. I am going to rework it a bit first though. My thoughts are that it needs more GP Tippet in the underwing, and perhaps a bit longer there as well. The pink will come out of the wing in favor of a light yellow / champaign colour. Overall I'll add more colour to have it stand out a bit more, but just a touch. I'll tie one without and one with a topping, as the bride and groom are split on this decision, so that will give them a good visual to choose from.

As always, critiques and comments welcomed and encouraged. Sorry I haven't been posting much lately. Work is crazy, and well, so is the rest of my life. Haha! All in good ways, just super busy.

Hope all are well,

Scott.

Attachments

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Nice tying, I like the wing density. underwing could be a bit longer. I like the topping, you did a nice job with it.

First question, do you have any straighter hooks to tie on? I think mixed wings look better in overall profile on a straight platform rather than curved like an AJ.

if you don't have the hook you need, would you like a few that may work to try or is there a time crunch?

Best

Matt

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
This thing is awesome! I have some old limerick 2/0s that work well for mixers (just pm if you want some, I have plenty)

I especially like this type of post because my own wedding is what started me on tying classics. One thing I did that you could bring up is I made mine and my best man's fly a bit different than the other guys. Maybe a topping on the groom's and without on the others? Either way, keep posting the results!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts on the fly. I'll definately post the next one and the ones that follow as I work out the final details.

I really appreciate the offer for all the hooks, and I do agree, that a Limerick bend on a straighter shank will suit the style better. My only thoughts are of the bride who wanted the groomsmen to have silver hooks, and the groom to have gold. We chose the AJs because they are readily available in both colours, and the heavy wire option will make them really stand out on the jackets.

I'll run it past the groom though and if he's in agreement I might take one of you up on the kind offer. What a great site this is.

Cheers fellas,

Scott.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts