Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...To post some work! Sorry for the hiatus. I've been fooled by the ease of posting photos on social media sites and have strayed from my friends here on Speypages. Steelhead23 encouraged this post. I've been mostly tying stuff for Fly Fishing Collaborative and a few for friends. By the way, thank you Speypages tyers for your flies and on-going support for FFC. Those guys just finished a self-sustaining fish-farm for the children in Belize. Their next goal is another build in the Philippines this Summer. So your donated flies have gone a long ways to fight social injustice.

So here we go, a brace of flees done the old way:

the Smith

the Smith tied for the winter dryline sink for a good buddy (You can see how much it weighs on that scale)

a "modern" Spey flee, the Delfur Fancy (this one was for my personal wallet)

the Black Boy, tied again for the "deep" winter dryline sink (this got me a fish on the Sol Duc but it threw the long shank after a few headshakes on the dangle)

I freestyled some feathers from Bill McMillan and Tony Torrence onto this heavy iron. I was planning to add some sides of peacock swords but forgot to...A friend seemed to like the look so I sent the "Disappointment" across the border.

This Robbie was gifted to a Robbie fan on the right coast

the following flies went to FFC:

the Hargeaves seems like a flashy good flee for summer fishing.

I was at the FFC booth during the Albany flytying shindig, when Aaron Ostoj kept my seat warm while my wife and I took a tour around. Aaron amazingly dug through my mess and started the tail on a fly before you can say "Kelson-was-an-imposter":devil:. I thought a "collaborative" fly would be terrific; so I finished the body and veilings and asked some folks for their wing materials suggestions on social media. Here's what the Collaborative effort came up with:

continued...

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Big Willy!

I dug that Collaborative pattern so much I had to tie another!

A Brown-Winged Killer on a Chesterton blind-eye gifted from Steelhead23

A tying in hand casualty! A Browned-Wing Killer...the arse-end of those bloody longshanks weel git ya.

the John Campbell

the Cadogan

A stacked wing Namsen variant and a Rogan Fiery Brown (according to Kelson)

...continued...

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
A lotta tyers are better than I, Onesunca, but thank you kindly.

Crushing the Assassin bankside (photo by my buddy Steve)

Got a rare Farlow perfect-style winch from that cane-building jedi...I was inspired to tie up an old Farlow pattern according to Kelson:

the Black Jay and oh that vintage growl!

A Tolfrey no.11, a Namsen mixed wing, and a fly I started that I forgot what pattern I was tying:chuckle: (the watercolor I started and I also forgot to finish it:hihi:) This vintage stuff is making me get old in the brains.

Cheers and if you guys want any of the specific patterns, lemme know and I'll try to post it!

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Super bit of work. I wish i could manage golden pheasant the way you seem to. You gonna be at the sandy spey clave?

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Quite Arguably one of the best in hand tyers around. Always a treat to see your work. Well done, very well done

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Top shelf tying notwithstanding, what impresses me most with your tying Adrian is your patience to carefully piece each of these together. I'd take half that patience...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Fantastic work as always, Brother. I think my favorite has got to be the collaborative fly. It's always fun to dig through another tiers "mess" and see how they try to sort out the collection of stuff that we all seem to accumulate.

Thanks for sharing.

Aaron

·
Undertaker
1,367 Posts
Awe-some

While I really love your flies, I'd like to see the rest of that watercolor you're working on. I am thinking that a millennia from now, fly tiers will be tying a Cortes Collaborative, in-hand. Just a thought Adrian - a book with SBSs of your faves, stories about tying and fishing, the folks you've fished and bled with, and a smattering of fishing photos and your art. Might not make the NY Times best seller list, but I'd bet most folks here would be proud to have a copy on their shelf. Kelson and Tennant are so yesterday.

PS - thanks for making that cheap hook look gorgeous.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Adrian.

Great to see you post a few here again! These are wicked good. You are very generous with your time..... but I hope you are slipping a few into your own wallets every now and then ;)

Not that you will hear any complaints from me tho! 2 of those beauties now live with me:hihi:

Thanks for posting these, great shots.
James

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Super bit of work. I wish i could manage golden pheasant the way you seem to. You gonna be at the sandy spey clave?
I dunno if its me or just a real good GP tail I got from AO, Matt. I really think I just got a really good tail. I'm still thinkin' about the Clave...I'll let you know..

Quite Arguably one of the best in hand tyers around. Always a treat to see your work. Well done, very well done
I'm gonna be the first to argue with you, Matt:p...I'm not even close, too many good tyers...I'm just a poser that lucks out from time to time. Thank you though.

What hook is the Namsen Mixer on? I really like that bend.
Just a chopped AJ, my friend. I got ticked at that long shank when I was tying that BWK and said to :saeek: with you!

I hate you Adrian

Keith
I'm gonna low-hole you on the Swamp, Mayor, and it's your duty to let me pass:chuckle: BTW, that Hawaiian dude says you've had a good winter on the banks.

I forgot one:

Rogan's Fiery Brown "All Seasons" killer

Thanks for the kind words...I'm just a fan of cool stuff. All that I'm allowed to do, I have learned from so many other better people than I.

CaneCaster you better be honest and tell me how those strange toppings work on the swing...that was an experiment that only I should have been a part of:D

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Nice work!

·
Registered
895 Posts
While I really love your flies, I'd like to see the rest of that watercolor you're working on. I am thinking that a millennia from now, fly tiers will be tying a Cortes Collaborative, in-hand. Just a thought Adrian - a book with SBSs of your faves, stories about tying and fishing, the folks you've fished and bled with, and a smattering of fishing photos and your art. Might not make the NY Times best seller list, but I'd bet most folks here would be proud to have a copy on their shelf. Kelson and Tennant are so yesterday.
I'd pre-pay for it right now!!

Thanks for another wonderful post, Adrian. It truly is a pleasure to see your work- both with the flies and your photos!

-Bill

1 - 20 of 35 Posts