Spey Pages banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone have any info on these blanks?They are so cheap but are they worth the effort to build?Has anyone fished or cast them?Any thoughts or comments will be helpful! ---GR8LAKES FLYER--

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx MJC for your quick reply.The link was helpful.But I'm still undecided!
--GR8LAKES FLYER

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rainshadow

I have the Forecast 9/10 14 ft 3 pc.
I build it with single foot guides and kept it as light at I could.
This produced a Fast action. Really too fast. over lining did not help. It is a tippy action rather harsh. Requires better timing that I have.
I was not all that happy with the faster action as I thought I would be
might try two lines heaver, or a Full Sink I think this rod blank might do well as a deep running line at a 11 wt class or full sink head.

ol Al

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
GR8LAKES FLYER,

As in most things in life we are all different as to what we preceive to be tackle that works. In two handed rods it is very common to find one man's perfect combo to be another man's junk. A search of Spey Pages and Washington Fly Fishing's spey section will reveal some detailed info on the Forecast rods. There are lots of happy users and some that were not pleased with the results. No one can make the final decision for you. I don't believe you can get into a two hander for any less money.

Having said the above if you are looking for a spey rod for folks with a low $$$ threshold buy an Echo Classic or a TFO. Both brands are priced right, have "NO BS" fast turn around warranties, and when matched with the right line weight they ROCK!

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice.Your right,no-one can really choose a rod for someone,it's definately a personal choice.My next step is to find a shop that may have one of these blanks to see and feel the action or may let me order one and let me return it if I don't like it.Again thanks to all for the info.
--RIVERKEEPER--

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
`really too fast'

:confused: i didn't think there existed a rod that was too fast,,i'll bet they'll be flying off the shelves now!,,,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hammer need to change my opinion

Howdy Hammer and others,
I took the advice.
Saturday I picked up a AirFlow Two handed Multi-Tip Delta Spey MT 10/11/F/S 4 tip line.
I loaded the new STH #3 with it 100 yard of 20 lb and the new line.
Put it on the Batson 9/10 14' that I had. I just laid out all the line 120 ft and into the backing. Smooth at it could be. What a difference the right line made....
This blank was under-rated on line weight. My building with single foot guides and single wraps trying to keep it light. Did but it also made it even faster. I am impressed with the action and feel of the RIGHT line on this Batson Rainshadow Rod. It is a Batson Forecast 4 pc. 14 ft 9/10 rated.
Casting two handed in the pasture and sending all the line, out impressed me
Double spey with just a grass leader was smooth as silk.
Gee I build nice rods. Thanks MJC for the advice on line weights.

ol Al

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More Questions

Would anyone know the proper Skagit line to use with the 14' 9/10 or the 13' 8/9 ? Thanks

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
line weights

FLYSOUP
Thanks for the link.But I didn't get what you ment by 60???
I'm just trying to get into this spey thing. I haven't built a rod yet. I'm still up in the air about what rod to build or buy. I have just recently learned that a Skagit type line system would be perfect for the river system that I love to fish. Right now I'm just gathering info before I decide what to get. Maybe I'll make this endevour a winter project for myself. THANKS

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry

Howdy Mr Flyer
That was a Typo it should have been 650. I thought I had fixed that.
By going a line weight heavier you make the rod respond some what slower. For a beginner that will sometime make it "more feelable". In this case moving up to a heady Spey line I moved up in Weight a lot making the rod load deeper and return to Rod Straight Position [RSP] take just a little longer letting me feel the load of the Rod. Changed the rod from Tinny to Smoother feel.
This makes the two hand rod easier on the caster.

Home this helps.

ol Al

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry about the delay!

Thanks to all for your insight and info! It was a great help! ---GR8LAKES FLYER---

·
Registered
100 Posts
11 1/2 ' 6/7

GR8,

I did.

The components with the kit were first rate and the rod turned out better than i imagined. For a little less tha 90 bucks i ended up with a rod that is one of my favorites. I have over 15 Spey Rods, including several Sages, a Winston, and a couple of Scotts, but there is just something about the little Forecast that makes me want to use it over all the rest. I bought a 13 footer, but haven't put it together yet.

Henry

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome

Henry,

Thats awesome! I'm hearing alot of good things about these blanks. It sounds like I may have to get me one!

Mike

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Gr8lakes,

Here's another nod for the Rainshadow/Forecast 11.5' 6/7 wt. The shop I bought this blank from considers this little Spey rod to be the gem of the Forecast Spey rod line. I only tried this one and the 12.5', and I liked them both. As Mike mentions, going up one line size seems to be what most folks prefer. I'm using an 8 on mine and liking it quite well.

BTW, I needed another rod like I needed a hole in my head. I just bought this blank and built it up to see if one could really get a good Spey rod for under $150. I did.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tried This ?

Anyone try under-hand casting with these rods yet ?
It almost sounds like they may be a good scandi-style rod ! I got an e-mail from one of thier rod designers stating the action is med to fast action , with the stiffness of the butt reaching into the mid-section . Sounds pretty good to me! ---GR8LAKES---

1 - 19 of 19 Posts