Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tight line takes
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What floater best matches this rod. I have looked at both Rio and Airflow lines and am aware of the need to upline this rod a little. Would I be looking at a an 8-9 or 9-10 Delta spey. On the Rio windcutter, would the 8-9-10 be in the ball park for the grain window on this rod?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
Mark ,

I own this rod as well . Forecasts line recommendations are a WindCutter 7/8/9 or a Delta 7/8 . The grain window is 525gr . Both lines cast well .
Hope this helps !!

Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Batson Rods

Howdy Mark
The Batson Forecast blanks make great spey rods I have the 14 ft with a 10 wt line I know it says 8-9 wt I was not happy with it at all. It was kind of what I called 'Tinny'. Not smooth at all I up lined it to the 10 Wt and it was a new rod. It did all I asked it to. They just rate them light...
ol Al

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Mark,

I must caution you to be careful with uplining a rod simply because some folks don't like the way it feels with the line it was designed to cast. Remember, just like with single-hand rods, different folks like different actions and amounts of bend in the rod when they cast. Folks who like to feel the rod bend down into the cork on nearly any cast often upline as much as 2 line sizes with the moderately fast recovering, moderately stiff rods like the Forecast spey blanks to make the blank bend to the cork on every casts. However, just because they do so, doesn't mean you should.

I like fast recovering, stiff, with a strong tip 2-handers like the T&T, Mesier Highlander series (personal favorites), Carron, G. Loomis Greased Line series, and Loop Greens. As a result for me, the Forecast blanks feel best when lined with the blank's rated line in a short to mid-belly line. I don't like them with long-belly lines because I don't like the way their less strong and stiff tip feels with a long-belly.

Another example of this is the old Sage 9140-4 (14' 9/10) "brownie", which was my first 2-hander back in 1992 or 1993. There are many folk who loved and many who still love this rod; but I hated it because it bent so far into the cork and had such a soft tip and blank. I fished it for 3 years before I wised up and went looking for a fast, stiff rod. Even with a 7/8/9 Windcutter line, the rod was still way to slow for me, and that was with a line 2 sized lower than it was rated for. But at the same time, I knew 2 people who like it best (one still used the rod a lot) with 10/11/12 Windcutters, which are a line size higher than it was rated for because they wanted it to bend even more.

What I'm trying to convey is that the only way for you to really know which line will work best for you is to cast it with 3 different line sizes. You can make a very good educated guess that will probably be a decent match for you if you keep in mind the type of rod action you like and then either use the Forecast recommended line size, upline one size, or upline two sizes. This will at least get you very close and not be a shot in the dark based upon what some other person prefers in the way a rod bends when casting without providing you with the information on the type of rod action he likes (which is why I provided you with the type of rod action I like and some examples)

·
Tight line takes
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Flytyer

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks again for the insight. I have a buddy with a bunch of lines and I will try a few out. It really is the only way to tell whats best for you.

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Howdy Mark
Let us know what you do come up with.
I do enjoy loading a rod as Flytyer spoke of. I cast a Fast and Mid Fast rods. I do feel that a GOOD SPEY line is very important in making a Rod preform correctly. The new long head lines will give a new caster a faster learning curve. The older DT lines you have to find and then mark the line to come back to that loading. This of course will change with changes in leader, Fly and Conditions.
ol Al

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i fished a bunch with a gent

this fall who had one built,,the thing was NOT loaded IMHO with what was recomended for it,i have no idea who recomended the various lines it would accept and feel in large part the recomended lines were for beginners to blast out 60ft ,no problem there!,glad to see the man come out and fish with both hands;) ,,,but the recomended lines all seemed to be short head lines,the rod was a powerhouse and quite stiff,i cast it for a few casts,,,i'd load it with every line i could borrow and see what it will feel good to you with,nothing wrong with short head lines but experiment,i have several wullf lines i'll use to find where i like the grainage on a new to me rod,,then i go for sinktip stuff and start all over again,,,confused yet?,just get as many lines on it as you can and report back,i'd love one of those myself,great all around length for bank or boat and i'd imagine a hot skagit rod too,good rod!

·
Tight line takes
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice

I'm thinking a 8-9 midspey floater would probably be the ticket on the 12 6 forecast. Does anyone no the grains on that line?
As far as sinking lines go,I have cast this rod with a 450 skagit and 15ft 129gr t-8 and it did not feel loaded to my liking. Like Hammer said, 60ft casts no problem. But after that I felt I had to work to hard to get it to fly. I have a 650 on my 15ft 9-10 and it flys out to 100 ft with barely a flick it seems. Thats what I'm looking for. Skagit casting should load the rod easy and cast easy. I think I will try a 550 skagit and that same tip and see what happens. From what I have read about this rod , it is really more like a 9wt.

Mark

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here's a link to an older thread with the same discussion.

I have this rod and think short head lines work best. For a floater line - i use a Hardy Mach I 10/11. If you have the opportunity - cast both the Delta lines to see what you think.

-Kristin

·
Tight line takes
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Kristin!

I hope to be out this weekend and try a few of the shorthead lines. I will post when I have come up with a winner.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts