Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Incredible to see the amount and nature of the flex in that rod. Camera angle and slo-mo sure make it apparent. No wonder "slow it down" is the cure for so many spey casting ills. Nice work

jim

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
endgin28,

Great video, thanks for posting.

I am not convinced the extreme bending of the rod is real time,,, it may be the frame rate of your iPhone recording. I will try and make some Spiral Pickup videos with my Sage 7126 ONE and a Nikon D7100 in two weeks,, then slow them down in software.

Some minor suggestions for fine tuning a very nice basic casting style.

You can have more body English by leaning forward somewhat on the pick up and then leaning back more prior to the delivery forward cast. This will add about 12"-18" to the rod stroke = more flex and more power.

We use slightly more bottom hand speed (power) at the very end of the forward delivery,, this will add some more rod flex (power).

Begin the forward cast with slightly less acceleration,, then gradually speed up to the final delivery.

More videos please,,, great work.

Regards,
FK

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Body English and leaning forward

I tried that very enthusiastically last year on the Clearwater and cast myself right into the river!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the body travel could be longer, is one of the things I am working on. Unfortunately I had a Type 6 tibial Plateau facture in a climbing accident in late August last year and I still have problems with my right leg mobility... (I enjoyed the pleasure of an exo fixator and have 3 plates, 11 screws in my tibia right now...) The hands are not quite rotating thru as well as I like, it is one of reasons I practice so often. As far as the rod flex, I just slowed standard footage down, no fancy editing otherwise. When I have done slo mo with the One before, it bends alot- comparing it to my Method, BII-mx (both really fast) it is really active rod during complex loading sequences.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts