Spey Pages banner

For the Bamboo curious.... 12' #7

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  CaneCaster 
#1 ·
For Sale

12' 7wt 3pc Bamboo spey rod made by Milwards (England). This rod has undergone a complete restoration and is ready to fish. Dark honey color cane, black wraps w/ single intermediate wraps, Agate stripping guide and tiptop both set in nickle silver bezels, stainless snake guides, sliding band over cork reelseat (will accept ANY reel foot), spigot ferrules, ferrule plugs, flip ring hook-keeper. Engraved on butt cap "milwards" and on the reverse "made in england". A nice tight stick.

Rod has a nice med-quick, progressive flex action that casts off the mid. great rod for all lines (scandi, skagit, spey) but I like it best with a scandi line around 460gr. Awesome rod for a first bamboo spey rod that will not break the bank. Rod comes with a spare tip section for insurance. No bag or tube but I will of course pack the rod very well for shipping.

$450 (shipping and insurance incl. to US/CAN)
Reel not incl. :razz:

Selling to help fund a much needed winter steelhead trip:smokin:
Please respond via email to jamesot@telus.net
More pictures available upon request, happy to answer any/all questions

Tight lines.
James

See less See more
#6 ·
whew - just saved me some dough! I was almost ready to pull the trigger, FWTW. But I'm completely unfamiliar with the old-school reel seats (sliding band) so wasn't sure if I'd like that - question: do both bands move on these so you can actually position the reel in different positions along the cork? That might be cool (if it doesn't work loose) to balance different reels (???). Oh, and being a metal ferruled stick, seems to have survived the spey casting...

#7 ·
Middlecalf.

This type of sliding band reelseat has one fixed cup and 1 sliding band. they are basically idiot proof and very rarely do they come loose, much less than screw type reelseats I would say. They were once the norm and are still very common on trout rods. I have made double sliding band seats for pin rod guys before and it is nice as you can move your reel to where you would like it to balance your rod perfectly. As said before there is nothing wrong with metal ferrules..... this 65-70 year old rod has seen lots of duty.... they still seem to be there :) Neglect is the reason a ferrule will fail, not the design. I still feel the splice is a superior design for spey rods/spey casting, but ferrules do and have been attched to salmon rods for a long time and in a far greater proportion that spliced rods... Anyway... beating a dead horse. (this is a for sale thread for god sakes... I'll shut up now)

J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.