Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends :)
I will start by saying there has been some beautiful fishy flees shared here these past few weeks !!
Some top shelf tying ... and best of all, they're all fishing flees :)

It's been a while since I shared a flee ... this time home I had the opportunity to work on a few ideas that have been haunting me for some time.
A couple years have passed since I fished a spey fly of old. Mainly because the effort put forth into making the mallard wings just so, would be forever lost after a fish or a few hours of swinging. Does that matter to the fish, probably not, however it dampens my spirit as I witness the wings unfold. So my idea was to replace the mallard with durable turkey, bustard and peafowl. I know it's not a new concept, I've witnessed the vintage flees of Mr.Brown on Colin's site fashioned this way. It has recharged my passion for this style of fly. Such shrimpy goodness in the profile with a long thin body and flowing hackles.

A couple Carron flees with Argus and Bustard and fashioned with the wool from my grandmother's knitting case :)
The black hackled one has an extra rib of single strand red wool, while the bustard winged one is more like a "King" series with the ribs of gold and silver, like the Green King in the bottom left corner. It's hard to see the extra gold tinsel rib. The two flees on top are my own patterns. On the left is the Notty Raich, with twisted wool body of blue, purple and red. Silver and metallic blue tinsels add a bit of sparkle to the snowflake argus wing. On the right is a Purple and Blue Speal. Much like a Purple King, however gold tinsels replaced with metallic blue and body hackle a dark shade of purple with a couple turns of BEP blood plume for a collar.
I find these flees simple, nothing fancy in the dressing and yet they inspire me to swing them hard on a sunk line.

Mike

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,706 Posts
Superb Mike

Uber Fishy...

That is your hat is it not????

·
Administrator
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uber Fishy...

That is your hat is it not????
Wayne, that's a pillow on my wife's seti, silly :hihi:

Tim, I hope they are productive.
Can you wait until I return home ?? I will fashion you a Purple King and a Carron from my grandmother's wool :)

Mike

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Stunning lot, Mike:

Scruffy, shrimpy, fishy, and back to some basics of making some darned good flies!

many thanks for sharing ;)

Mike

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Great fly's right there. Really like the top three!!! Outstanding tying!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Woot Woot!

Very nice man..... those girls deep in a tailout

J.

·
Administrator
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you my friends for the kind words :)
I can't wait to swing these !!
James, I have a special deep tailout and a couple of runs in mind for these :smokin:

Mike

·
Administrator
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys :)
Mike you're right about getting back to basics. Sometimes the simple offerings can be the most enticing to both the fish and the fisherman.
Again, I'm really excited about these flees !!

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts