Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an early morning dragging a few landlocked steelhead wannabes around, my son and I decided to take in the Marlow Bumpus Show on the Skagit. A finer collection of souls would be hard to find - From the legendary to the common. It is at such gatherings that we find our folk heroes to be genuinely decent and sincere people, so far from the imagery of the media-hyped “Super Stars” of different sports/pursuits. No overly inflated egos, no attending groupies. I found no prima donnas here.

Contrary to legend, Ed Ward is not 120 years old nor does he don a wizard’s hat, though his wand did great magic. John Farrar was as smooth and finely tuned as any I have seen with the spey rod and Marlow was the perfect host, and fine performer as well, who welcomed me in a most warm and friendly manner. And as to Mike Kinney, the word practicum burns in my mind. Truly, the “folk” in folk heroes…

And then there is the Admiral – All 10 feet of him! With bolts of lightning from his eyes and fireballs from his ars… Teamed with a “Green Heart” rod of old, you might have the makings of a movie. Easily one of the top ten, all-around spey casters in the world and a fine man, his grasp of differing casting styles/technique is superb. Hell, I would even allow him to park his sled next to the hog wallow on my farm!

Tyler – Thank you for the time and camaraderie you have given to my son and myself. From a rocky start you have gilded a new friendship with gold. I am in your debt.

And finally, a BIG THANKS to Juro and Dana; because of your efforts my life has been enriched in many ways through the ongoing dialog with fellow forum members and the nurturing of opportunities wherein I have met some of the most interesting, talented and friendly folk. Kind of makes you both heroes in and of itself.

mmm

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Speycasting heals all

Well folks here it is ... long-time Forum followers may be amazed, but here is the former Admiral Jetsled and ex-Watersprite now known as The Kinder Gentler LBFF and Mean Mr. Mustard :eyecrazy:

Thanks goes to Marlow for organizing a wonderful day, not only for the opportunity to do things Spey, but as Mean Mr. Mustard alluded to, the opportunity to get to know people face to face. The weather was great, the competition was low key and the new and old friends were wonderful!

Thanks to everyone I met today - it was a great time. I will post more pictures over the next few days, so stay tuned.

Attachments

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seeing the photo brings two things to mind:

1. Sandy took a close-up of what several federal agencies can only get with telephoto lense.

2. After all the talk of pink waders and things, this is as close as I would get to that character.:razz:

And Sandy, if I had known about the picture taking I would have brought the full set of dentures.

mmm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts