Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frank n Snaelda was designed for Atlantic salmon but because pacific cousins do not know about it also like them :D
I tied a few flies for spring fishing in Scotland but they also will swim in Skeena:)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
what material are the antennae? Are they synthetic?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Thanks Klops. How's your success with the flies in Skeena vs. Europe?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Klops, these look really good. The FnS is the next pattern I am going to take on. Your post is both timely and exciting for me.

How do you find the boar bristles work out? I am thinking of going with quill bodies but come to understand that a person might get lucky if they pull a set of quill bodies from the pack good enough to use. However boar bristles seem a fine surrogate.

Use of hackle stems seems a bit labor intensive (and wasteful) to tie just FnS, unless they are recycled millinery feathers? Now that's something.

Kevin

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Klops. How's your success with the flies in Skeena vs. Europe?
FnS is have been well known in Europe for a few years .
Like always on the beginning people was very skeptic with it but pattern is so successful than
More and more anglers use it. Of course it not working always but generally fish attack it very aggressive.
And I have on mind bot silver and colored fish .

Now showing it on this forum I know that I will made a few BC’s rods unhappy because this pattern was their big secret .
Also is very effective on Alaska. Simply I do not know what it made so successful but it is.
When we thinking that it is imitation of natural food it is much more similar to small squid than any another pattern including intruders.
I think essential are feelers which have to stay out of fly .
I remember when I suggested last November to my friend to try it.
You know that is sometime not easy to suggest something to guy who fish 200+ a year .:chuckle:
To made story short. On Monday short email . "It was amazing!!! Burkley fish attacked them like pure silver fish sometime when miss attacked again"
As I remember result was double figure. In fact now not so important . Of course this fly become immediately standard weapon modified by my friend to be even more successful and durable. It is easy when you have 2km to Burkley and you can test flies immediately on animals.
A few photos from bigger collection . :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Klops, these look really good. The FnS is the next pattern I am going to take on. Your post is both timely and exciting for me.

How do you find the boar bristles work out? I am thinking of going with quill bodies but come to understand that a person might get lucky if they pull a set of quill bodies from the pack good enough to use. However boar bristles seem a fine surrogate.

Use of hackle stems seems a bit labor intensive (and wasteful) to tie just FnS, unless they are recycled millinery feathers? Now that's something.

Kevin
FnS is easy to tie. You can use any brass or even plastic tubes but simply is much easier and better to tie them on tubes designed for tying them.

They are in a few sizes (10-25mm) and with flange in front and without. I usually use version with flange because is easier to tie on it and I can exchange size and color of conehead even on river bank. This way I can modify fly for example adding tungsten conehead. Maybe in BC when fish are in generally slower water tungsten cones are not wide used however with Atlantics I use this trick very often.
You can buy this tubes and another fit to them elements in a few places.
I have them from SRFS http://www.skeenariverflysupply.com/product-category/metal-tubes/

Original recipe asked for hackle steam. It is very good material but has also some disadvantages.
First it is time consuming to remove barbs from them
Second you have to find not so stiff feathers because you will miss a lot of attacks .
3th life of them in mouth of fish is limited.

Due to above a lot of people use boar bristles instead. They are very durable but they have limited length. A lot of tiers in Europe prefer them for FnSs or Francies.
Difficult to know what is better. Simply I think that is worth to tie both version and try yourself. I did. I think that in slow current bristles might be slightly better option .

Like each patterns we can use a lot of materials . After a lot of tests in BC rivers looks that Snow Runner is the best material for tails. Durable but with proper stiffness and shiny .
We can tie rear hackle by feather

But friend recommend my version with nutria. Because I like this material a lot I tied most of my flies with this material.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts