Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I wonder if anyone could help.
I'm looking for a direct comparison between the Loop Blue Line and The Flylogic Dec Hogan signature series.

How do these rods compare to each other?

I have read the review of the Flylogic rods on Speypages but the Loop Blue Line is not reviewed.

Do the Flylogic rods compare to any of the Loop range?

Cheers,
Carl

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Berlin said:
Hi All,

Do the Flylogic rods compare to any of the Loop range?

Cheers,
Carl
Hey Carl

I would say that it would be hard to compare the hogan to anything but the yellow, but even they are still different. I really like the 8 and 9 wt dec hogans. With the 9 wt 14 ft imagine a sage 9140-4 without the downsides. The butt doesn't crap out. The tip isn't too light. What the mountain bikers in the late 80s would call "ride all day performance" Whether you're sharp or rusty, the rod will feel lively and make you look better than you are. I've cast it with a windcutter 10/11/12, grandspey 7/8, and midspey 8/9. The windcutter felt a little sloppy, but not a problem. Great rod for the normal fisherman who doesn't demand Lamborghini performance. Remember, ultra high performance and super fast rods often requires ultra high attention. At least for me they do. The 13 foot 8 weight Hogan rod is my 3 season rod, and the 14ft 9 is for salmon and low winter flows.

The blueline loop is an awesome rod I've cast quite a bit but don't own. Day and night to me with the Hogan. Fast rod. In the old days "fast rod" was code for overhand rod :hihi: Not so with the blue line, at least not the 9 and 10 weights I've cast. When hit right it's one of the few rods that have made me say "WHOA!" as a cast went a whole lot farther, and straightened out a fifteen foot leader better than I would have imagined. This was with the 15 foot 10.

Either is great but very different. To say one is faster and one is slower is accurate, but doesn't begin to cover it. Hopefully someone who likes the loop as much as I like the Hogan will chime in.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Carl.

I have one Loop Blue. It's the #9 13'2" and I love it (that's why I bought it). But, there is a little but, in my opinion, it is not that great with long lines. Shooting heads, WC etc. will work just fine but from MS upwards the rod doesn't have that power or the right feeling in my hands, at least. Someone else might think differently.

I would describe the blue as medium fast, 3/4 to 1/2 progressive rod whereas dec hogan (IF it's like the loop yellow, or the pee loop, as we call it here :)) is a lot slower in action but more progressive down to the hadle.

J

·
0 Posts
The comment about the Blue Line handling shooting heads and shortbellied lines better can probably be made about the entire Loop lineup. I haven't yet found a combo I like between all the Loop rods I own and any line with a longer belly than a Mid-Spey/Long Delta. They are all definitely at their best (IMHO) with shooting heads and Windcutter/Delta type lines. I like my Thomas & Thomas rods for anything with a longer head.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
I think it's safe to say that all things being equal, longer rods handle longer lines better. A 15 footer will do a better job than a 13 footer with lines in the 80foot and above category. Easier to lift, and keep more line moving. My experience with the loop blues were with the longer rods, and as I said, in my case they require more skill and or attention than a Dec Hogan, or as is commonly said, they are less forgiving.

That being said, the 15' 10 wt was a long line monster for me when I did it right. If I owned it, I'm sure I would have had no trouble adjusting to it. The 14" 9 was also fun to cast with long lines. I chose not to own either, but like I said, I prefer something any fool can cast, but that delivers under harsh and or demanding conditions .

As to my comparison between the Dec and the loop yellow, I said it was the closest, but still very different. The yellow to me felt between the old Sage 91404 and the Hogan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts