Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after 20 years as a one hander i'm getting ready to dive into the spey game - have cast a few different rods and plan on getting some instruction, etc. i'm looking for a good all around first spey rod - primarily used on rivers like the trinity and deschutes - curious on your impressions of the flylogic 13' 8wt. reagrding my taste in one hand rods, for lighter trout sticks i love the feel of my winstons (3wt wt, 4wt lt, 5wt lt, 6wt ltx). for saltwater, i'm a big sage xi2 and rplxi fan. i don't know much about flylogic but have heard good things and looks like i can get a pretty good deal (compared to sage, winston, burkheimer, meiser, etc.) thanks in advance for the input...

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Steve, not to be a 'wet blanket,' but there's a very good reason so many of these rods are for sale on e-bay. There are much better choices in the market place for a 'first rod.'

Depending upon where you live, you'll find LOTS OF FOLKS more than willing to meet up and let you test drive a few rods/lines before you start 'dropping your dimes.'

Fred

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would say to go ahead and get it, you certainly can learn the basic casts with it and I see some experience speycasters on here list it as a favorite.
Until you can speycast at least fairly well you probably won't be able to make any decisions on what you want no matter how many you try.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Love this rod. Great as a short head rod (windcutter, delta, etc.), and an amazing Ed Ward style Skagit rod, meaning cut back windcutter 10/11/12 casting a tonka truck with feathers tied to it. You won't be dissapointed.

I understand where Fred Evans is coming from entirely. There are SO MANY awesome rods out there, that by trying as many as possible, even if you can't yet really cast well, you may stumble across the ONE that is right for you at this time. Also, Fred is the kind of person who will take the time to show a newbie the pro/cons of the rods that are layed out. However for the $320 you can get them for on Ebay, the Dec Hogan may be the best bargain out there. Except maybe for these from one of our sponsors. http://www.flyfishusa.com/rods/cnd/cnd-rods.htm

In the spirit of full disclosure, my dealing with them, which I won't go into, was AWEFUL. Did get my product, but when an old man calls you out? Well I never expected to have to say "I ain't drivin' three and a half hours to kick an Old Man's ass!" when i went to buy a fly rod. Did get a butt ugly, ball cap out of it though. Best damn fitting hat I've run across in a long time... but Fuglier than heck.

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
Philster said:
In the spirit of full disclosure, my dealing with them, which I won't go into, was AWEFUL. Did get my product, but when an old man calls you out? Well I never expected to have to say "I ain't drivin' three and a half hours to kick an Old Man's ass!" when i went to buy a fly rod. Did get a butt ugly, ball cap out of it though. Best damn fitting hat I've run across in a long time... but Fuglier than heck.

Come on, let's hear it. We could all use a good laugh!

·
Banned
974 Posts
Rods

Don't do what I did and order rods, etc. before receiving good one-on-one instruction. My instructor brought a number of rods to our first lesson and it was great to try a few. Good deals on rods will always be there but your preferences may change with exposure to different rods.

Just my thoughts,
David Dornblaser

P.S. - I am a big Winston single-handed rod fan as well.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
sva01 said:
Come on, let's hear it. We could all use a good laugh!
Nah... Half the people there went out of their way, and the other half were convinced that they were doing me a favor. Patti is great. Nuff said.

BUT I did learn to NEVER use a debit/check card over the internet. If they mischarge your card one, two, or three times and void the transaction each time, it can take your bank up to 5 days to return the money, real money, even if the merchant voids it immediately. This is really a pain in the butt if you do the transaction on say a Friday :mad:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I sent a rod in for cork repair.I believe patti was the one I talked with.Had about a 4 dy turnaround.did not even miss a wkend.Bought one bfrom them over internet once.no problem.most of the rod sold that way are by the company[one reason the few dealers that carried them dropped ].Most people may not know the blank is made by one of our top rod sponsors.Beau

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
beau purvis said:
I sent a rod in for cork repair.I believe patti was the one I talked with.Had about a 4 dy turnaround.did not even miss a wkend.Bought one bfrom them over internet once.no problem.most of the rod sold that way are by the company[one reason the few dealers that carried them dropped ].Most people may not know the blank is made by one of our top rod sponsors.Beau

Hey Beau. I try to be fair. I posted their link and had nothing but good to say about Patti. I'm not telling anyone to avoid shopping with them.

I don't get the rod comments in your post. What rod company are you talking about , who makes their blanks?

·
fly on little wing
1,119 Posts
yo Stevie

I have the little bro (7wt) and big bro (9wt). Both work well for what I want to do. The components are top shelf. The assembly is top shelf. The 4 piece design is nice. I have used them in the blistering heat of the summer and have had them completely iced up. Both cast the line out and catch fish.

Gary

P.S. The 9wt is a little more heavy in the hand than other 9wt rods I casted and the 7wt is more fully flexing.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have some 9wts also.they are heavy in the hand.redsigned one and changed that.usually only use 9wt when either figure there is a high probability of a number of 30# fish[chinook]or the chance of one 30# atlantic where I want to stop him in a tight spot or where I need to make really long cast all day[Thompson,Skeena]or where I may need to throw15ft or more of T 14 + the gray compensator.After doing that a couple of days the 8 wt feels like a 5 wt trout rod!Beau

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Two points to be made. Speaking personally, I have never had anything but top notch service from the shop in question. I respect that others might have had issues but from my perspective, I have always been 100% satisfied.

As for the 1308, a very nice rod. The handle is a pit big for my taste but the action, cosmetics, etc. are top rate. You could do a whole lot worse for a first rod.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
tip - did you mean the handle is a bit big, or a pit big? Probably a typo, but I don't like the pit where the thumb resides

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
First rod for Trinity and Deschutes

Stevieg3,
These two rivers are unalike. The Trinity is an intimate 300 cfs river, while the Deschutes is a true biggun.

The Fly Logic Dec Hogan 1308 is a good rod, excellent for the Descutes, but too heavy for the Trinity.

A rod such as the T&T 1307 is the one rod I know of that will be a good compromise for you. It will throw a gentle dry line and, with a Rio Skagit Spey line, toss any weight sink tip you care to fish [up to Big Boy 500 grains, 24-foot].

I have fished this rod in both the Trinity and Deschutes with floating and sinking lines and it is superb.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts