Spey Pages banner

flylogic 13' 7 wt and rio ms 7/8

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Bob Pauli 
#1 ·
i just got this delivered last week and have been itching to take it out to the river. due to business and weather conditions, i haven't had a chance to cast. i was able to load my reel with the line this weekend but negative windchills kept me home. i just saw the extended weather forecast and i don't see any chance to get out this week.

if any one has this set-up let me know how sweet it feels.

vodoofly

#2 ·
Like a red hot knife slicing thru butter. Matched like a cool carribean breeze and curtains in an open cabana window. True like the arrow of a marksman, deliberate, and deadly like a samurai in the night. The ultimate, if only it were spring.

Actually, I've never cast the setup myself - but I just got done loading and spreading several hundred pounds of salted sand on my 660 foot skating rink of a dirt driveway and if I am going to suffer so are you! ;) :D

JUST KIDDING! Welcome to the club.

#3 ·
Just picked up the Sage 7136-4 and had a chance to give it a toss on a local river. I guess I'm a little lucky in the weather department out here on the coast . If your Flylogic is anything like the Sage you're in for a treat ( I've never tried the Flylogic). Anyway hang tough, spring is on the way!

#4 ·
I have the exact set up. The Mid Spey line is the older version with heat shrink loops and I'd like to hack those off, but man it's going to be a killer summer rod. The floating tip seems like it has a thiner, lighter taper for those soft presentations. Maybe that's because I started out three months ago with a 15' 10 wt plank, with Windcutter, from Sage. I like switching back and forth between the two rods because it seems like it helps understand the cast having different wts and length. But since I'm so new to this, I may not know what was good, even if she sat on my face. I am not unhappy about the that rod because it works for me and in Spey casting, that seems to be the ticket.

Matt

#5 ·
Hey BC-
Which line were you casting with your '36? I recently received a MS 6/7 for my green blank '36, but haven't had a chance to cast it. I've alternantly used the WC 6/7/8 and the WC 7/8/9, which both work with the rod, but I don't care to strip in as much line these days.

ADP <")))><

#6 ·
AD Pose, I bought the Mid spey 7/8. Seems to work well on this rod. I have used the Accel. on my 10/11 St. Croix but I'm not a fan of that line. It's kind of funny how we all start out with these cannon type rods and then work down to the lighter ones. Damn fly shops sure know how to get my money, but then again what else would I do with it!

#7 ·
finally got out

and it wasn't pretty. temps were in the high 20's and there was a stiff SW breeze. i need some major practice in the finer art of spey casting. the wind definitely had it's way with me. i was very pleased with my overhead casts though. i started with a bead head bugger and eventually went to the indy and 2 fly set-up. i did manage a hook-up for the inaguration. this is a great line for mending. my drifts were as good as it gets. don't you just love it when the bubble line works it way out away from you. the only way to get a great dead drift is with the indy set-up. i could lay out all the line i wanted to for the drift through the bucket and out into the tailout. i'll be out again at first light.

vodoofly

#8 ·
What's the word?

Any more insight on this rod (FLO-1307) and a 'mid-spey' length line? I recently picked one up and have not put a line on it yet. Hoping to get to the Sandy clave to test her out with a few demo lines, but I'd like to hear the collective input of the board.

With the Rio Mid Spey, it appears most folks are going with the 7/8 at 560 grains. Is the 6/7 at 490 too light? How about the AirFlo Long Delta spey lines? -> the 6/7 is 550 gr and the 7/8 is 575 gr. Any preferences / suggestions?

thanks,
-Oly

#9 ·
Fly Logic 13' 7 weight

I have a Fly Logic 14' 9 weight rod and it is a good rod. I classify the action as medium to medium-fast.

Expecting the same action I purchased the 13' 7 weight and found the action to be slower than slow when spey casting. My preference is for fast rods, so factor that into my comments. No overhead casts or indicator related activity were tried.

The 13 for 7 is overloaded by a WC 6.7.8 Floating line which has a head weight of 455 grains. Perhaps a WC 5.6 with a head weight of 360 grains would be right [for me] for this rod.

A MS 6/7 Floating has a head weight of 490 grains.

A MS 7/8 Floating has a head weight of 560 grains.

Speybum, the owner of the fly shop in Carnation, WA, and a sponsor, has a different opinion of the 13 for 7. You should contact him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.