Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed from the U.S. into Canada via Air Canada, and looking at carrying my reels on board. What form of POW torture should I expect?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
You can take the reels - but not the lines! It appears that a #10 long belly line and 300yds of 30lb backing would make some fantastic garrotes... :eek:

Seriously, they will not let you take the lines as carry on, luggage okay but not carry on.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Reels on Canadian flights

Kush is right. Reels [with line] are OK in the US, and all points south to Tierra del Fuego, but on flights within Canada, I have been prevented from boarding with lined reels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ufb!

I'm guessing packing reels in a Pelican case and stowing inside checked baggage is probably the safest method with the least hassle. Thanks.

G

·
It is not acurate to say that one can take reels filled with line anywhere south of the Canadian line. I had a buddy of mine prevented from taking his reels aboard, and he was headed to the Bahamas. There is no 100% reliable way to predict this, and I think that's exactly what TSA wants. The other important point is that Air Canada for years has had a rule about not allowing ANY fishing gear in your carryons. Now I understand that this is not strictly enforced, but it is their policy and at one time was on their website. Be prepared to have even your empty reels refused as carryon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had my reel stripped for line and backing last year in Montreal. Everything went straight into the dustbin, but at least I managed to save the reel. The power supply for my pc, the mouse with a cord and my long USB cable went through without any problems. Are there any logic?

At the time I just reckoned that the guy at the counter needed a new fly line, but maybe I was wrong about him.

Knut

·
Registered
201 Posts
I recently flew with my reels-but checked my lines and spools in with my luggage. My theory was that in worst case scenario, I could lose the spools and line, but I would not have to replace the frames of the reels. I thought it was a little less likely that anyone would want to steal half-reels....

·
Registered
378 Posts
Here is another strange one. Last spring on a flight to Terrace they were most upset by my bag of shooting heads. Strange thing is they had no problem with the reels,loaded with line of course, that were also in the same case.
BN

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Whistler said:
Here is another strange one. Last spring on a flight to Terrace they were most upset by my bag of shooting heads. Strange thing is they had no problem with the reels,loaded with line of course, that were also in the same case.
BN
Someone conducting 78% of their reasoning operations with their reptilian brain would probably think the heads were more accessible therefore more dangerous. Someone using their mammalian thought centers would conclude that they were more accessible, but no more dangerous than a spooled line.

Just how far apart were their eyes? Did they move independently, allowing a full field of view with only a small blind spot in front and directly behind? Next time try standing directly in front. They might not see you!

·
Registered
427 Posts
So I'm hearing this is an Air Canada policy? So I should have any problems on Horizon in and out of Vancouver.

Kush any issues to and from Masset? How about any reports? Looking forward to it staying on the boat this year rustic but more time fishing.

andre

1 - 10 of 10 Posts