Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I just joined the board and I find it a great place to meet anglers with a lot of knowledge.

Unfortunately I have 0 spey rods in my rod rack. Actually I do not have a rod rack either.:chuckle:

However I've been around the Spey in Scotland as well as Loch Ness and I've seen guys casting long lines. So, I guess I can easily be converted into a spey angler provided I can get some proof it is just as efficient a method in catchig big fish as other methods are.:lildevl:

I normally use spinning outfit with spinners or spoons. On a river last fall I had spent about 6-7 hours per fish. I thought that was bad until I met with 2 other guys that had flyfished that river for many years. They mentioned that for the same period of time they were averaging 30hours/fish.:Eyecrazy:
Of course they were not after numbers but after quality fishing.

So what is your personal ratio / average?
And for a river like the Tompson near Kamloops what is considered an average day of fishing?:roll:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
to answer your question `header'

my `ratios' have fallen off sharply this year:chuckle: ,,certainly fishing for anadromous species is all about being right on a keg of fish not unsimilar to finding trout `feeding' on a favorite stream,,,et al,now,,,when i read the header,:eek: ,i've come a long long way in learning various tackle and tactics,i see no real end in sight on the lurning curve(thankfully),not every fish can be targeted consistently and successfully with `flies'(bugs!?:lildevl: ),,at one point i wished it were so,,but,,,as long as the rod is bent and i have the attitude of being an ambasador of the waters rather than the king,:tsk_tsk: ,i keep smiling,,so,go on with it!,,get both hands involved!,i'll never quit flyfishing no matter what species i use other methods on,in fact,as a point of note====the `rules '`here' have been changed=angling for `green sturgeon'=/flies,artificials only,so,know i need to tie a pattern to target them with!:saeek: :hihi:

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you are valuing counting hours between fish hooked save yourself the angst and stay with what works. Whatever floats your boat works. If numbers are the goal I would invest in a good gill net. Bet that would lower the ratio into fish/hour instead of hrs/fish.

There isn't anything to 'prove' about flyfishing and it's effectiveness. You will either 1) take the challenge and accept fly angling's 'limitations' and invest years to get better or; 2) Use fly tackle to imitate drift fishing because you can't accept flyfishing limitations and shorten the catching portion of the curve and revel in your prowess or; 3) stay with the spin/bait rod.

William

·
Registered
62 Posts
inland said:
Whatever floats your boat works. If numbers are the goal I would invest in a good gill net. Bet that would lower the ratio into fish/hour instead of hrs/fish.William
I bet it would indeed.

:razz: :tsk_tsk:

Int

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
There are some places and times

when fishing with a fly can be very effective. Prior to spin and casting float fishing, it was difficult for drift fishers to work as effectively fly gear near tidewater for andamerous species. The fly guy could use a shooting head with the correct sink rate to pass the fly through suspended steelhead or salmon at their level, much more effectively than the gear users. Now with floats gear users have the advantage again.

Where I usually fish, the time between steelhead is long enough with any method, that I choose to fish with a fly because I enjoy the casting, and the challenge. You have to decide if you like fishing with a fly enough to justify a few less fish taken.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
inland said:
If numbers are the goal I would invest in a good gill net.
:hihi:

A spinner is no more different than a fly. It may feature a single hook, feathers, weighted body and anything else a fly would have.

However it is capable of producing solid vibrations in the water as well as a silver or golden flash, that in many cases are irresistable to steelhead.

It is a highly sporting method of catching fish.:smokin: Indeed casting a lure is not that sophisticated, but I've never seen my hook impale any parts of my body as a result of wind conditions.:hihi:

t_richerzhagen said:
You have to decide if you like fishing with a fly enough to justify a few less fish taken.
I wanted to see, if somebody feels confident they can outfish a lure fishing guy. I would still try to make it to the Kamloops Spey casting training 2 weeks from now. It doesn't hurt to have the knowledge and outfit ready.;)

·
Registered
445 Posts
HHhhhmmm.......

..................just out of some perverse curiosity,I'd like you to answer your own question. Is it about numbers,or.....?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
spinners work!

always have here,the biggest summer i ever cought was quite an experience;) ,on a blade:eek:

·
Registered
445 Posts
..........Hammer,I think spinners work everywhere. We fished them exclusively for steelhead for years,I'd have to say that they are deadly.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
spey machine said:
..................just out of some perverse curiosity,I'd like you to answer your own question. Is it about numbers,or.....?
Yes, it is about numbers and sizes.
Leaving the casting aside, we are comparing almost apples to apples.
Gill nets have no place in this topic.

They sell small flatfishes and spoons that are designed to be cast by fly lines.;) Is this an acceptible "fly"?:D

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Well if it is just about numbers go find another site as that is really not something this site is about. Read inlands post again. That about sums it up. It is not apples to apples.

A spoon is not a fly. While fishing spoons is perfectly fine with me this is a fly fishing site, there are many other sites to discuss fishing spoons.

I do not want to come off like an arse but if you want numbers fish an egg sac off a bobber. That is the most effective way to catch a steelhead.

-sean

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sean said:
Well if it is just about numbers go find another site as that is really not something this site is about. ........

if you want numbers fish an egg sac off a bobber. That is the most effective way to catch a steelhead.

-sean
Don't get defensive guys:roll:
I do fish flies in places I catch more fish with them than on anything else.
I also enjoy the casting and the kind of relaxation I get out of flyfishing.

I do know about the roe sacs. This is the most widely used method of catching fish on the Great Lakes. I would not go that way either.

The subject is about comparing one artificial with another one.
I am also trying to find out how productive the rivers around here can be.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
# posts

seem to be a little high for Cougar?!!!

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
sean said:
I do not want to come off like an arse but if you want numbers fish an egg sac off a bobber. That is the most effective way to catch a steelhead.

-sean

The most effectvie way to fish for steelhead is to pull plugs behind a drift boat. It is also the most boring way to fish there is.

I think cougar is nothing more then a troll. How did he get 4,294,967,286 posts already? Very interesting.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Yeah but he did not say anything about having a boat :)

Have not decided yet if this is a troll or not...

-sean

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KerryS said:
How did he get 4,294,967,286 posts already? Very interesting.
Well, the counter displays the number of steelhead I've caught, not my posts.:smokin:

No, I do not have a boat. Instead I use waders just like you guys. I like to do a fair bit of legwork and try to locate fish in the runs. Please stop those cheap tricks!:hihi:

P.S. To the administrator: I found some other deviations in the stats data on the board. I only have 10 pictures posted, but the counter says 22. Any time I view a picture it counts for 2 viewings etc..etc....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Fly & Spin

Most of the replies here are regarding steelhead, how about other fishing.

We have an estuary nearby where a small hatchery run of king salmon return and on an outgoing tide it becomes like a big wide river. About five of us fish it with flies, while there are usually about ten spin fishermen casting spinners.
Two of us use spey rods with an intermediate sinking scandi setup, and it has leveled the playing field with the spin guys.

The spin anglers advantage of casting distance over the singlehand fly rodders is negated by the scandi setup - we can cast further than most of them, and we can fish the fly at a steady depth at the speed we choose.

Early in the run, the fish were biting spinners more than flies. In the last two weeks, flies have taken the upper hand with few caught on spinners while we have been filling our freezers with the spey rods.

When our coho come into the channel and estuaries, fly rods have a big advantage in that we can fish our flies at the depth and speed we want. There is no easy way to fish a spinner just a foot below the surface, slowly, and this is often the ticket for milling estuary coho.

As for the use of a blade, I grew up in New England where this was no problem, and trolling with lead core and small spiner and Grey Ghost double hook streamer is considered fly fishing. Last year we weren't getting any coho on one day on a local river, so I tied on a fly with a spinner blade added and got seven nice fish in nine casts. My buddies give me a lot of hell for it but I can take it.

I think the main difference is in the amount of skill that it takes to master spey and fly fishing, and whether you would consider this a good thing or not. If you like to get your rewards without putting in any effort, and all you want to do is catch fish fast, with minimal investment of your time and brain, buy some lures and a spin rod and go for it. Be sure to give fly fishermen plenty of room.

If you want a recreational pursuit that will engage your brain and body with a lifetime of new tricks and techniques to learn, if you like the idea of rewards coming from practice and learning rather than just from showing up, if you like being part of the ongoing innovation of rods, lines, and casts, you'll find a lot more enjoyment from spey fishing, and eventually plenty of good fish, well earned.

Vinnie in Juneau

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
fishing racizm ???

mvinsel said:
......with minimal investment of your time and brain,
Vinnie in Juneau
:D Here we go again!

While I appreciate your post Vinnie, just the way you appreciated your 7 fish caught on a spinner-fly combination, I do not think remarks like the one above are appropriate.

If I should follow the same chain of thought (the roe sacs, trolling, gill nets) I can say, go play Chess and have your brain exercised even better.:confused:

Most people on this board apparently have very low regard for anyone using lures or bait. But again, it is not my intention to promote lure fishing here, but just to get some thoughts going and some information up on the board.

Your post is one of the most useful posts so far on the subject and I appreciate it.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I think you are missing the point....

I do not think many have a adversion to folks that fish other methods. If they do it is their own fault and you should not worry about it. I fish gear for stripers. I have taken an affection to fishing handmade wooden plugs in rocky surf for stripers and find it can be as technically challenging as fishing a fly. I personally do think it is a little unfair to pigeon hole all gear methods as being simplistic cause they are not. :roll:

However...and this is the main point I am trying to get across to you. This really is NOT the forum for talking about spin casting. It is a fly fishing site, specifically fishing with a two handed rod. This is not a forum for gear discussion and never will be. Not racism, just how it is.

I think fishbc has gear slanted forums and you will more than likely find better reception there.

-sean

1 - 20 of 38 Posts