Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Knee Deep
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

As many of you may know I was diagnosed with Leukemia a few years ago. My Leukemia is in remission currently, and life is slowly returning to a, "new normal." I felt that I needed to give back to an organization that is fighting to find a cure for this horrible disease while providing support to many with Lymphoma and Leukemia. Had it not been for resent advances in fighting Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia, I feel that I wouldn't be here today.

If you are interested in this event or wish to donate to the LLS please check out the link below. There will be prizes awarded, and a drawing at the event for some really stuff, including an Echo Glass Rod, Patatgonia Jackets, a Sage Fly Reel, and much more!

http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/201...st-to-beneift-leukeumia-and-lymphoma-society/

Thanks,

Tony Torrence, R.N.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Hey Tony,

Good on ya man. I'll be in touch with how I can help.

Hope all is well,

Scott.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
About 20 minutes ago I told my wife "I'm only going to tie for myself for a while, can't remember the last time I put a fly in a box" and then you post this up! I will do my best to find time to get something wrapped up for the cause.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Riverman, I will participate. At this moment, I'm in the hospital with my first round of chemo for lymphoma. It's a slow growing one that I have dealt with for a while - this is my fourth round and I'm headed to Seattle Cancer Care Alliance for transplant therapy in April. I will be there for 3 months getting high dose chemo and using my own stem cells to regrow my bone marrow. I too feel fortunate for the research performed by that organization. Several of the treatments that I have received are cutting edge and weren't availble when I started all of this. I will participate in the Green Butt Skunk category, not to win, but donate to a good cause.

Mark

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Wow man. Hang tough Mark.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Thanks guys. This will set me down for a while but I can tie flies. I plan to be back swinging a fly by fall. Not sure about rowing my drift boat down the Deschutes. I did it before in between doses for several of my other cancer treatments, but this one will be a bigger deal. I'll be back at it as soon as I can! I don't let cancer define who I am.

My boat is in the fishing with the two handed forum under the "this old boat" thread.

Mark

·
Knee Deep
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark I dropped you a pm. You will be in our prayers for a speedy recovery!!!

Scott, thanks for reaching out, I really appreciate it!!! Scott brought up an interesting question. There is NO entry fee. Though we would like to raise more dollars for LLS, we didn't want to discourage any entries.

Josh, I planned this to keep you off the river this year!:razz::eek::hihi: But, seriously, just pick one division to enter.;) Can't wait to see your entry!

Thank you to everyone for your interest and support!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
When I had the strengh to row the drift boat.

Bump for Fred.

Mark

18 teen/19teen? 'WW 2 Vets' in front, drift gear, not fly rods but had them in the boat. They would talk, I rowed, shut up and just listen. Some of the 'hear' would/could curl your hair. Worst were troupes that had been at Monte Cassino. A killing ground. That was TMI.

Cast there! First 'real job' I ever had, the President of the Company was a retired One Star General.

'Fred, I have a couple of old friends I'd like you to take fishing.' Half hour before day break we'd slide the wood drift boat into the water. Mr. Warton Funk took damned good care of me; "full ride" at the University of Washington. Master's Degree in Economics and a couple of others.

Steelhead Trout Club of Washington. Joined when I was 14 or 15, now in my 70's, still a 'Paid up member.' Which reminds me, my 'Dues are due.'

But again, I wander in memories. Good People, Good People. All.

Small edit: You have extra gear, we all do, "Pass it forward."

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Tony:
Praises to God for the miracles of healing with you! I've been so blessed by your friendship, our time on the river, mutual prayer during times of tests and trials, and of course your amazing gifts of beautiful flies.

My prayers also go out to Mark, may God bring miraculous healing to your body!

I looked at the entry categories and see one I might enter - FOAM!!

Blessings,
Todd

·
Knee Deep
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tony:
Praises to God for the miracles of healing with you! I've been so blessed by your friendship, our time on the river, mutual prayer during times of tests and trials, and of course your amazing gifts of beautiful flies.

My prayers also go out to Mark, may God bring miraculous healing to your body!

I looked at the entry categories and see one I might enter - FOAM!!

Blessings,
Todd
Thank you Todd, you are a true friend. Thank you for your prayers, and being there when I needed you.

I hope you change up that wang with some bling...uh, well you know what I mean. :eek::hihi:

Take care, my friend,

Tony

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Thank you Todd, you are a true friend. Thank you for your prayers, and being there when I needed you.

I hope you change up that wang with some bling...uh, well you know what I mean. :eek::hihi:

Take care, my friend,

Tony
Right back at you buddy, that's what friends are for!

I'll have to take your advice about my fly entry, will add bling to the wang and call it the "Blang"!

Todd

·
Registered
757 Posts
Giving this thread a bump to remind everyone to participate. Like Tony says, it's a great organziation that does a lot of good.

I submitted flies in the steelhead category, a Green Butt Skunk using skunk fur from Aaron Ostoj and also tied the three trout flies.

Get busy and send your files in!

Mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am going to have a "radical cystectomy" due to a malignant tumor April 15th at OSHU. Knocked me on my butt!!! Would there be any interest in a "Spey Pages Cancer Support Group?" I live in Klamath Falls and would be willing to drive to Eugene. Please send me a PM if you are interested.

Michael

1 - 17 of 17 Posts