Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
18,341 Posts
Well if that fly doesn't catch a fish I'll eat my hat :hihi:
That is lookin' real good Miss Trillium !! I really like the colours ... the yellow hackle does two things up front.

1. Gives a great contrast to the rest of the fly.
2. Adds brightness to the fly. I call this "POP Factor". It gives an attention point to the fly to get interest in it ... sort of makes the fish do a double take.

That wing looks like it will just dance in the current and sway back and forth on the swing !! Movement is very important when designing a fly, it shows the "LIFE Factor". Most steelhead don't eat twigs, twigs don't move and pulse when floating down a river. This fly is no twig, it's going to have a lot of movement.

The way you tied that fly gives it a fantastic profile !! Very sleek, yet "shrimpy" :smokin:
Your fly gives the illusion of a shrimp or even a baitfish swimming by. Two really good river foods or even threats to steelhead. However the fish interprets it, it will result in a grab !!

I will also say that looks to be a good size fly for fishing :)

There you have it !! You ticked all 5 boxes for fly design Miss Trillium, you know what your doin' for sure :)

1. Colour
2. Contrast
3. Movement
4. Profile
5. Size

And another thing, you dressed that fly perfectly without adding too much materials. Keeping things with just the right amount of materials makes everything flow nicely, both in and out of the water. Good job !!

Hope you get out and try that fly soon :)

Mike

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,133 Posts
Trilli

What a nice eye you have for proportions and color! Keep up the good work!

I can't believe you're 10 already! It won't be long before you'll be driving up to the Rogue to go fishing by yourself, although your dad will probably be hiding in the back seat! ha ha.

Good to 'hear' from you!

Bob

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Great Job! Excellent looking fly. You should be proud, very well done.

Look forward to seeing more of your flies

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well if that fly doesn't catch a fish I'll eat my hat :hihi:
That is lookin' real good Miss Trillium !! I really like the colours ... the yellow hackle does two things up front.

1. Gives a great contrast to the rest of the fly.
2. Adds brightness to the fly. I call this "POP Factor". It gives an attention point to the fly to get interest in it ... sort of makes the fish do a double take.

That wing looks like it will just dance in the current and sway back and forth on the swing !! Movement is very important when designing a fly, it shows the "LIFE Factor". Most steelhead don't eat twigs, twigs don't move and pulse when floating down a river. This fly is no twig, it's going to have a lot of movement.

The way you tied that fly gives it a fantastic profile !! Very sleek, yet "shrimpy" :smokin:
Your fly gives the illusion of a shrimp or even a baitfish swimming by. Two really good river foods or even threats to steelhead. However the fish interprets it, it will result in a grab !!

I will also say that looks to be a good size fly for fishing :)

There you have it !! You ticked all 5 boxes for fly design Miss Trillium, you know what your doin' for sure :)

1. Colour
2. Contrast
3. Movement
4. Profile
5. Size

And another thing, you dressed that fly perfectly without adding too much materials. Keeping things with just the right amount of materials makes everything flow nicely, both in and out of the water. Good job !!

Hope you get out and try that fly soon :)

Mike
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice comment. I have not caught a full grown steelhead yet, but maybe, in the near future, this fly will help me catch one.

Trillium

·
Registered
288 Posts
I love that pop of yellow hackle - that’s a great eye for color combination, Trillium! I’d love to hear how it fishes, especially when you use it to outfish your Dad.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
That's a very nice pattern you have tied, Trillium. Any one of us would have confidence in that fly searching for steelhead or atlantic salmon. I really like where you started the body and where you finished the head of that fly.

Solid tying.

Adrian

1 - 20 of 27 Posts