Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several of us are heading over to the Maupin area for several days fishing on the Deschutes. As I've only fished the river once (and that was several years ago) what would your recommendations be on 'fly sellection' for this area of the river?

tnx
Fred

Should have added: time frame of trip is middle of next week.
fae

·
Registered
439 Posts
fly patterns

Fred, Check out what The Fly Fishing Shop has to offer for summer patterns. Green butted Skunk, Night Dancer, some patterns that have purple in them, Street Walker, Wayler, Jar Fly, and for sunk line fishing something in basic black. For on the surface try,Steelhead caddis, Bulky Mouse, Moose Turd, Walller Waker and the list goes on.
If the fish are there, a dirty sock tied on a hook works.
Will let you know how and what works when I return Tuesday.
Have fun shopping.
Leroy.........................

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
speyrd said:
Fred, Check out what The Fly Fishing Shop has to offer for summer patterns. Green butted Skunk, Night Dancer, some patterns that have purple in them, Street Walker, Wayler, Jar Fly, and for sunk line fishing something in basic black. For on the surface try,Steelhead caddis, Bulky Mouse, Moose Turd, Walller Waker and the list goes on.
If the fish are there, a dirty sock tied on a hook works.
Will let you know how and what works when I return Tuesday.
Have fun shopping.
Leroy.........................
Shopping??? Given what it costs to 'purchase' fly's now it's 'tie or die!' :whoa:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Some others

Fred,
I have had good luck with a spey style green but skunk, a modified Max Canyon, and a small Undertaker as a tube fly.

·
Registered
498 Posts
deschutes flies

Skaters. black

Wet. Purple or and black. This time of the year go with a size 6 they seem to prefer the smaller size. If your tying them put in a bright butt. I also like the fly in my avitar. gold tail, red butt, gold body, purple hackle, orange and red wing. I call it a Deschutes Doctor. I normally fish two wet flies and go with a large one up and the small one trailing.

Dredger. Articulated Bunny Leach in black or purple or a combination of black and purple. I have also had success with a red collar on both. This will give you a middle of the day fly. I fish it on a type 6 or 8 tip. I tie this on a 15 mm Wadington shank and a size 4 short shank hook, so it is small for a Bunny Leach.

Skilly

·
Registered
344 Posts
The water has been in the low 50's. I spent a lot of time swinging dark flies last weekend on sinking tips with only one hit.

If you get to the point that you just want to catch a fish then put on an egg pattern and nymph holding water.

What part of the river will you be on? The best fishing has been around mecca-trout creek. But there are still fish in and around Maupin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts