Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a pattern index on the forum?

With all these great flies that have been posted lately, it has had me searching for material lists for some of them. Thought there might have been an online source within these pages that I have missed.

·
Administrator
18,049 Posts
You can checkout the "Sticky" threads at the top of this sub-forum. There are patterns within those threads.
If you search for a particular pattern here, sometimes the posters will include a material list.
Original patterns or "freestyle" patterns often seen here are the creations of inspiration.
You can always post a question within a thread to ask for a material list or private message the member.

Mike

·
Registered
222 Posts
Marty's pinned post is a great place to start here. If you see a fly you like posted, I'm sure most, if not all, members would be glad to share a materials list as well.

Here are a few other resources that I commonly go to for fly patterns
ClassicFlyTying- Fantastic resource for classic patterns and plates. Behind a cheap ($12/year) paywall, but worth the price of admission IMHO. Most of the old books are also available freely on OpenLibrary.org
Feathers, Flies and Phantoms from Colin Innes- A stellar collection of classic fly patterns/variations, plates, photos, SBS, and information. Free!
Steelhead Alley Fly Tying- Lots of GL steelhead patterns, as well as trout, bass, pike, etc. Free!
Nick Pionessa and the Oak Orchard Fly Shop Forum- More GL patterns. The forum hasn't been updated in quite some time, but most of the posts and photos are still accessible. Free!

Books that are worth buying or borrowing from your local library. There are obviously many more options, but these are the ones I reach for the most when looking for patterns/inspiration
A Passion for Steelhead by Dec Hogan
Steelhead Fly Fishing by Trey Combs
Modern Steelhead Flies by Rob Russell and Jay Nicholas
Fusion Fly Tying by Greg Senyo
Spey Flies by Bob Veverka
Spey Flies and Dee Flies by John Shewey
Advanced Fly Fishing for Great Lakes Steelhead by Rick Kostich

·
flytie09
483 Posts
I’d say if you’re curious about one of the patterns you see..... to ask for dressing details. Unch shared many I’ve used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts