Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
kind of a silly question. but im kind of new to speycasting and flyfishing as i have not caught a steelhead on a spey rod yet. i was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on flies to try for summer steelhead and also maybe a few salmon flies that have worked them. not asking for any secret patterns just a little info to put me in the right direction. thanks scott

·
Registered
147 Posts
Summer Steelhead

Muddler
Purple peril
Skunk
Brads Brat

Thats all you need. Any more would just confuse the issue. Get a few of each fly in a small meduim and large size I'd suggest 8,4 and 1/0
Over time you'll try new patterns and develop your own preferences. best to keep it simple in the beginning..
I know a guy on the Umpqua who fishes only muddlers and catches as many fish as anyone else.Evidence that you don't need a large arsenal of flies...

Someone else will have to answer your question about salmon..

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Only fly I would add to Rob's list would be some sort of leach - probably a rabbit strip leach (easier to tie than a marabou) in black or purple. On the river I fish most for summer steelhead - the Klamath - it would be a copper bead head moss back in size 6 hands down but that is a local pattern though it also works well on the Rogue.

For salmon, commets work great down in tide water in Southern Oregon/Northern California - orange/ orange and black/chartreuse/charteurse and balck with silver bodies.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
"It is good to remember that more steelhead will be caught on a hunk of yarn than on the fanciest fly ever tied." -- RHB

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
With sinktips comment in mind ...

I'd (as would anyone who fishes the Rogue system) have to include the 'Otis Bug.' This (to borrow another grand description) you could tie with boxing gloves on .. it is that simple!) non-elegent fly accounts probably accounts for 50-60 per cent of the fish hooked on the upper Rogue. More in the summer, but still a very effective fly for winter work.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
what fish see

you state you are new to the game,,,get some underwater pics of fish,,,heading upstream,from behind,,then you'll get a handle quickly ,,look at what they see,,,think like a fish,;they'll `hit' anything that looks like `prey',ALL patterns work somewhere,sometime,,,,,,once they realize they are the prey,;,,game over,,,,,this relates to anything that signals something isn't right,,there are other reason's they'll bite but the main focus is presenting a meal,,,go to the library,tons of knowledge there,tons here on this forum!,,,good fishin',hey gotta go,,,just saw a tasty crawdad!!!!:D

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Scott...

Buy some orange or purple hotpants size 6. While you are out pick up some jailbait and you'll be all set.

"Wild $teelhead C&R gives me a thrill, why don't we all make it the drill"

·
Registered
147 Posts
ok ok... MJC ignore me here but to the rest Usieng weighted flies for grabby summer fish?? good grief... I wanna catch a fish because of some display of skill on my part not because of lead.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Roballen...

My wife is always looking out over the yard and telling me "to get the lead out". :chuckle:

PS, I agree 100% with what you are saying and I like your list.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I agree that Rob's list is good but he could just as easily cut it off at muddler and purple peril. Those two, depending on how you fish them, should cover 90% of the bases.

As for Hot Pants and Jail Bait, I am not sure there is any place for that kinda talk on a nice family fly site. MJC, are you still selling Jail Bait out of your shop? I know the laws are a bit more lax over your way.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Howdy Sinktip...

Yeah, things are a bit more relaxed over here in the "Appalachia of the West". There will be plenty of Jailbaits around this summer.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Making it as simple as possible for wets you should have: something black, something purple, something orange, and something very light with a silver tinsel body and teal wing in sizes from #4 to #8. For dries, bomber (natural or black), Lemire's Grease Liner (or one of the many variations of it), and a Wulff style fly in sizes #6 or #8.

A box that has four wets in these colors and sizes (get the patterns that you like the look of in these colors) and dries in these types will serve you very well for summer runs.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have seen a couple different references to hot pants and jailbait and can't get any info from a search. What is/are they, in terms of fishing?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
They are

flies with interesting names.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts