Licensed Curmudgeon
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I be tying?

·
Registered
235 Posts
patterns....

I would have to say that you should have an assortment of patterns for the clave.

Caddis(mainly the Rhycophillia and Hydropsyche larvae) are abundant in large numbers within the system. Typical green caddis imitations are perfect in size 10 and 12 mostly.

Stoneflies are prevailent as well, mainly the Taienopteryx larvae, that can be found drifitng on the warmer days. Size 12 and 14 are best.

Have eggs as well, in many colors are best.

Spey wise, nautual colors work best resembling food sources such as caddis, stonefly and hex nymphs. Sometimes hues of pink and chartreuse are good on the Mo, but black is always a winner.

Clabe it up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is there any other pattern Bob??

If I were going you know what I would be tying..........

#4 white polar bear matuka's.
Would you expect anything else!!:D

Barry

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hexes, caddis (disco etc), oregon cheese eggs.

But first I start with caddis or a hex nymph, or both.

PM Out

P.S. That reminds me need to tie some more caddis and the hexes that were effective there the end of april.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I be a swingin'

But my wife need not worry, I am talking about flies only. I have been thinking about tying a smaller intruder tube fly to shake things up in those waters. I have a complement of PNW proven winter / spring patterns as well, curious to see how they fare.

Biggest factor is conditions - what are the water temps expected to be?

·
Licensed Curmudgeon
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
portable tying kit

Since my cardiologist won't let me join in the single malt festivities, I'll be tying in the motel room.
VERY careful measurement of the TMC7931C, size #2/0 comes out at 13mm. A bit of body material over the point brings it down to 12mm, which is just under the 1/2" max.
Gorgeous hook for big purple muddlers & after dinner mints:cool:

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Big tube flies only need small hooks to sting and hold. #1 or #2 is plenty, short shank straight eyes do the trick in the surge tube keeper on the aft end.

1/0 big irons (7999) should be plenty for traditional ties, eh Doc? Well within gap rules.

I may join you in the tying room - I usually do best on the flies I tie on a trip, not before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would count on the river being pretty clear. I just called the gauge about 30 sec ago. It was at 7.72. Up from last week. But, still low by most standards. I would be sure and bring flouro and smaller diameter tippets for clear conditions. Bank on the fact that the fish will have seen a fishing line or two by then.

If you want to call the gauge at the dam in the future here is the number:
(231) 652-1771
Hold the phone away from your ear at first. There is an obnoxious burst of noise. Then a series of numbers and letters. Then the time and the level.

I am on the river Sat and maybe Sun this weekend. I'll take a water temp both days and post it on Monday.

LR

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mo Update

Mo was fishing well this last weekend. With good numbers of fish and great numbers of fisherman. The water temp was at or near the 40° mark. Water was a little stained. Fish were most happy at first light. Then came the jet sleds....

Hope this helps. If anyone wants current river info closer to next weekend feel free to drop me an email. I'm sure I'll be feeling under the weather at least one day this week.;)

LR

Mon 9:42am...level 8.66

·
Registered
630 Posts
Spring speys on the Mo'

Hi guys. Expect clear water and water temps in the low to mid 40s. Key food to imitate this time of year is salmon parr, leeches, and sculpins. Attractors have been best with some flash (not outrageous), but not so "loud" as to be intimidating. In spring I've done well with claret and orange, black and highlander green, black and purple, and natural and olive. Motion of materials does make a difference, so those who tie traditional flies will be at an advantage. Try some bright blue flashabou.

All of the above goes for you nymphos, with the add-on that lighter eggs and stones have been the key (not caddis). Smaller sparrows/spiders and wiggle-hexes have produced in spots.

You guys who have been at this game should bring your tips. The players are in the dark water/holes, and are a good mix of staging and dropback fish. Lately my players have come from the belly, more than throats or tailouts. I think it's the combination of light and boat pressure.

I can't make it Sunday, but can be reached at [email protected]
Have fun, and keep both hands on your stick! It just feels better!

Carl
:hehe: :hehe:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting info on Nymph patterns. Not at all what I would have suggested. We beat em up pretty good last weekend on Big bright eggs and Green Caddis both. Couldn't buy a fish on a stone though. Didn't fish any streamers. Too much Jet noise over there heads to get them to come after anything. I wouldn't leave Caddis at home. Unless you like being in a gun fight without bullets.

LR

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yep, Muskegon is filled with caddis and most of the other rivers up there. Might as well not go if you don't have the caddis patterns in your quiver, right Lipripper ?

PM Out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts