Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a dilemma. I'm leaning toward either the Fly logic Dec Hogan 14' 9 wt (model: FLO+1409/4) or the Cortland new CL series 13' 5-piece 9/10 wt.

The Fly logic can be had for around $375 versus around $200 for the Cortland. I'm not independently wealthy, so money matters. I don't believe in paying good money just for a name and/or looks alone...but I also don't mind paying for quality and believe that generally, you do "get what you pay for", but sometimes, all you really end up with is prestige. I guess what I'm saying, is that I'm not big on buying simply to impress.

BUT.....as a novice, will I really benefit by going for the Fly logic over the Cortland, or will only someone with lots of experience really get much benefit from the higher priced rod. I'm assuming there is more to the extra cost of the Fly logic than just namebrand, and or cosmetic looks.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
I have very little time with the cortland compared with the fly logic, but I have cast it numerous times. The cortland might have the edge on speed of recovery, but overall I would have to respectfully disagree with Jack as to which I would prefer to own.

The Fly Logic really is what the Sage 9140-4 SHOULD have been. A "smooth, easy going, doesn't fall apart in the wind, does everything you ask, but will ALWAYS be capable of more than you are" rod. Maybe not cutting edge graphite technology, but too good (in my opinion) to replace if you already own it... Unless you are a casting freak, which is cool too.

The Cortland is a shocking value at its full retail price, I couldn't believe it the first time I picked it up. But the Fly Logic is also an insane value at the price you quoted. I couldn't imagine being without the 1308 fly logic, and I use the 1409 as an awesome winter one two punch with the CND skagit. Midspey and longer on the 1409 for wide flats and full on skagit lines on the CND for in tight and picking pockets.

You'd probably be happy with either, but I doubt anybody would ever say with the fly logic that you are paying for prestige :rolleyes:

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Confused?

By now you must be even more confused. I want to clarify that my opinion has nothing to do with price. If price is the issue email me offline and I will put on on entirely different products. Between these two, with over 20 hours on each, I think the Cortland is the superior casting tool.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
My preference doesn't rely on price either Jack, and you have no idea how much I appreciate and respect the fact that you stuck to the question and didn't throw other products at him. Cool indeed since you carry very competitively priced, high performance rods. I'm intrigued by the light snowbees...

I only have few hours on the cortland, probably under 5, but I have hundreds of hours on the various fly logics. Come to think of it, that may be why I like them so much... or do I have hundreds of hours on them because I like them. Chicken/Egg situation I guess, but I do think that for a straight forward rod, the 8 and 9 weight are hard to beat.

Cheers

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Quite Right

I had a feeling you had a lot of hours on them. Many of my friends fish them and they are good sticks. Great performance and very reliable. The great thing is that RobJ has done his homework and has homed in on a choice where he cannot go wrong. I would say go to the store where you are going to buy them and tell them. Ask them to loan you one of each and take them to the river. Put them through their paces for a few hours and at the end of the time you will certainly understand which rod favors you.

BTW, both of these rods work very well with shooting heads and underhand strokes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
speyman said:
I had a feeling you had a lot of hours on them. Many of my friends fish them and they are good sticks. Great performance and very reliable. The great thing is that RobJ has done his homework and has homed in on a choice where he cannot go wrong. I would say go to the store where you are going to buy them and tell them. Ask them to loan you one of each and take them to the river. Put them through their paces for a few hours and at the end of the time you will certainly understand which rod favors you.

BTW, both of these rods work very well with shooting heads and underhand strokes.
Actually, that is part of the problem...I'll probably buy off the 'net which makes the trial part kinda out of the question. Which is really unfortunate as I live about 4 miles from the Fly Logic headquarters in the beautiful metropolis of Melba, ID...population 400 or so. I believe in supporting the local businesses, but to buy from them, I'd be looking at $600+, but I can get the rod new for almost half that off the 'net, and since I'm not independently wealthy, I'm gonna have to give them my business indirectly (should I go the Fly Logic route rather than Cortland).

I appreciate all the advice from both you and Philster. I plan to go to the Clearwater clave end of Sept. and would like to at least have my own rod to practice on...once I make my decision, I'm sure I'll have questions about how to best match line to the rod, but will leave that question for now. Again, thanks to both y'all for the advice.

Rob

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey RobJ...

Actually, that is part of the problem...I'll probably buy off the 'net which makes the trial part kinda out of the question.
While Jack and Philster are both experienced casters and can tell alot about either of your choices and which one of those rods "works best for them" they can not really tell you which rod "will work best for you". I do not believe it is economically prudent to buy spey tackle off the net or otherwise without having the provision of trying it before you buy it. Without a test drive it is just a crap shoot.

I'm looking forward to seeing you at the Clearwater clave if you can make it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Rob,

I would wait to purchase until you get your hands on some rods. Talk to MJC about some demos or wait a month until you are up there to test a whole bunch. Waiting until the gathering would be your best option to conserve $$$. You could kill two birds by getting to test numerous rods along with instruction.

William

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
you never said what rod you already had.if you have an 8wght or more already,whats the rush?I am curious.also,my impression of the internet flylogics is that they are actually being sold by the company.No shops sell them anymore. I believe I bought a couple from the company over the net .they made it look like an Idaho retailer.But I think they owned the retailer.I would not buy without trying and I say that even though I own 2 of the 8's and 2 9's .Every person is different and thier taste changes as they develope thier skill. if it is the co selling I dont see why they would not let you try one.worth a try.Or ask the internet seller.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Agreed

I personally prefer to see soneone cast a rod before I sell it to them. That way I have an idea where they are going with their casting and fishing and can make sure they have some growing room. Looking forward to Sept 24 on the Clearwater!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.