Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rockin' The MKS 13678
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so new that newbie doesn't begin to describe me...
I have been fishing a single hand Winston 9' 8 wt. IM-6 for years and want to add the 2 hand technique to my tool box...

After finishing Dec's new book the burn got turned up a notch. I ran a cross this Fly Logic and want to know your thoughts about this rod, what line to match it with and if it might be a good match for me:
Like I said about my Winston, the IM-6 is medium to slow at best so I'd imagine that a faster Scandi-rod maybe not my thing to start. Maybe later but how is this 1409/4 for learning the fundamentals?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have a couple of these.I consider it my Chinook rod and my extra long cast rod on big rivers with big fish.I used it a lot in a very difficult wind situation on Rio Grande where I needed a very long cast to reach a far bank slot.I owed a lot of hookups to having that rod.I use a Rio Skagit 650 with a 5ft intermediate cheater and 10ft tip of Rio t14.It is a little stiffer than what I prefer for learning.Best learning rod I used was a soft 15ft Winston,It taught me and my son to use the rod.If you pushed it and muscled it too much it failed and you learned to have a finer touch and let the rod do the work.Beau

·
Registered
293 Posts
First, let me say I'm not at all familiar with that rod. However, a friend of mine picked up a custom built 15' 9-wt 3-pc fast action european-style rod for a recent 2-week trip to BC. He had unfortunately underlined the rod by about 200 grains (he was using an 8/9/10 windcutter, I think it needed a 10/11/12 to really "feel" it work) and it was a real bear to get the timing, the rod felt like a telephone pole. He had a real tough time of it. If you do end up with the rod get a line that will load it up. Otherwise you'll have a heck of a time feeling it load and in general getting a feeling for the casting.

The other question is, what kind of fishing will you be doing? Based on Beau purvis's comments, the rod would make sense if you're chasing big fish with big flies. However, if you're going after average-sized steelhead (6-12 lbs) and especially if you plan to fish smaller flies on a floater, something like a moderate-action 13-15' 7 or 8 weight would be a better rod to learn on and one that will be the mainstay of your 2-handed rod quiver (think of these setups as analagous to a 9' 5-wt for trout fishing). Also, good deals come along fairly often for 2-handers, so don't be in too much of a hurry to get a setup. If you can get into a one-day clinic and test some rods out you will gain a lot of knowledge that will probably be a lot better off in making a decision as well.

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
I see you fish the Clearwater. Go spend a day with Mike at the Red Shed. It will be worth your while. Lots of rods and lines to try.

Rich

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have this rod and enjoy it very much. It is a big stick and I use a skagit 650 on it for winter steelheading. I would call this a classic action rod with a progressive load that you can feel. I'd say this is a good rod to learn to spey cast on.

cb

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
yo Okisutch

The flo1409 is a wonderful stick, made with fine components and a convenient 4 piece design. it's a bit tip heavy and you need a heavy reel to balance it. you can start with a WC 8/9/10 or 9/10/11 line. Use the 9/10/11 line if you want to slow it down some.

Gary

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
IMHO you will be way underlined with less than a 10/11/12 WC [same as a 650 Skagit].thats what Dec would use!Thats what Riveraddict, O'donnell , McCune,and Cook would use.I agree its being a fine rod,[I own two].It may be overkill on most of the fish and some of the water where you will use it.It is tip heavy.need a reel heavier than 10 oz.I cut 3 1/2 " off the butt and remade the exact same handle configuration[feels more like a 9wght now instead of a 10!]If you have not purchased the rod yet I would suggest getting a 1308 fly logic [Dec Hogan][I own two of these ,also].Much more allaround rod.It is what I use 90% of the time.I believe it would be even more newbie,learner friendly!Both of these rods are traditional action with the 1308 being a little softer.the 1409 is not just one notch up.It seems more like it is 2 notches up .You could use the 1308 on GR plus the big water,wheras I would not even consider the 1409 on the GR!.Much more fun on the 5-10lb fish.I have done fine with it on Chinooks to 30lb and sealiced steelhead to 30lb.Line for 1308 would be Skagit 550 +5ft cheater+ 10ft sink tip.Beau

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
IMHO you will be way underlined with less than a 10/11/12 WC
and that is why (insert caster name here) must go out and cast (insert rod name here) to get a feel for what works for them.

G

1 - 9 of 9 Posts