Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this rod and am looking for line reccomendations. Have been using a windcutter 7/8/9 (nice). Anyone using the Airflo lines? Tried the 9/10 long delta because I have it, but of course it is woefully overlining the rod. Wondering if the Delta 7/8 or 8/9 is better for shooting line with large flies and tips. I also want to know which long delta best suits this rod. Much thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
sorry for multiple posts but keep remembering new data. I only use a 10ft 10weight sink tip most of the time.if you use 15ft you need to subtract about 50 grains from my lines to be egual. on the long delta I use a straight floating for drys and barely wets.use a 10ft floating poly leader ,which adds some weight and throws very nicely.these weights and types of lines are what the rod was designed with.I have two of these rods.dont want to be on a trip and have to use anything else.Balance nice with a Buegle.Beau

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heavy lines

I was surprised at your recommendations. This is the 8 weight rod. I tried my 9/10 long delta on it and it was way too heavy. The windcutter 7/8/9 that I have works well but could stand to be a tad bit heavier, but not much. The rod actually performs very well using a skagit cast with this line even though it's a bit light. Where are you getting the short 10 foot sink tips? All I've seen are 12 or 15 footers. Thanks for your input, it is much apreciated.

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Beau, and All

I am currently choosing a short head line for a Loop 8116 and was interested in your W/C mod. So if I read you right you cut and loop the W/C at a 33' head and use it with 10' tips? For a total lenghth of 43'?

Do you think that [or similar] setup would be applicable for the rod I mention? Also, venture a guess at a line weight for Loop

cheers N I

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
no idea.I do know that I weighed my skagit head at the sandy clave.It weighed 585 gr.without a sinktip.RIO may be adding a option where a tip 2 section may be available as 2 peices[5ft &10ft with loops].If you know which WC loads your rod to your preference,RA suggests you go up one size and chop 5 ft from the front of tip2 and try that.if too heavy for you cut a foot until you like it.Beau

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
purely a guess based on my experience with a couple of rods. Go to RIO website section on recomends for rods.Look up your rod and go to the heavier choice and add two sizes.cut that back as RA suggests until it feels right. that would probably be similar to Scott Odonell model also.Talk to RIO about that system.Beau

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Beau,

Have you found that the Airflo tips seem to sink better or should I say faster than similar Rio tips?

Kevin

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
they work fine.however,the tungsten wears off fairly rapidly.As a result,I have tended to use RIO type 8 in a 10 weight the most .They last!Seems to be the same type of product but the coating stays on.In some types of drifts where I want them to swing all the way in,they get down a little too much.Have a 9 weight version for that or I switch to the airflo.the RIO costs 2x as much since it is longer,but it lasts much longer. In fact I dont believe I have had to replace one yet.I have replaced many airflos.So it is short life vs infinity, so far.Have not tried the t14 yet but I will probably arm myself with some just in case.Maybe those early kings in certain situations.Beau

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Beau,

Thanks for the info. I think I will get some t-14
and try to build some RA style tips all 10' length.
All I have ever used is Rio 15'-24' various sink rate
tips.

Kevin

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Hey Beau be like Mikey, try it you'll like it.
:hehe:

Sorry Beau I had to say that :devil:

·
Registered
149 Posts
moose got a new rod

Haven't seen you for a while. Catching enough American Shad? Have you tried 7/8 XLT yet? If not, I have one and you are welcome to use it. I think you know where to find me.

Simon:cool:

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Simon!

I was out of comission for a couple of weeks with a work related arm injury and just started fishing again. I've caught a couple of shad near sunrise, but every time I go to Watt ave I don't see any of my spey friends. I figured everyone has run off to his own spot for shad and when that's over it will be back to Watt ave. Haven't seen Larry or Jeff in a month. Yes, I got a new rod. Look forward to seeing you and letting you try it out. I already have a 7/8 XLT. I want an Airflo delta to try on it, but the Windcutter 7/8/9 is pretty nice. See you June 5 at the spey clave!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was out of country for a week. Now just recover from the trip. I think you can find me in the mornings of weekends. If 7/8 xlt is too light, try my 8/9 xlt. If not, you can try something in my box.

See you on the water.

Simon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts